154CM vs s30v

Howdy all.

I'm new here and I'm wondering what's better
in edge retention bucks 154CM or s30v?

Thanks

In my cutting test they cut the same amount of 1/4" sisal rope. CPM 154 cut 5% more than either of these you mention. DM

I prefer 154CM. From my experience, 154CM holds a "working edge" very well. I've carried a benchmade griptilian in 154CM for a few years and it's never underperformed. I believe that S30V probably takes and holds a keener edge longer, but 154CM is great steel. I also find that 154CM has very good stain resistance. The S30V blades I've had seem to stain rather than rust.

If you want to get scientific:

These are the results of the CATRA test from a knife magazine in 2010. The knives were ground and heat treated by Bob Dozier. Each knife was .125" thick and heat treated to 60-61. However, you could make the argument that 60-61RC isn't optimum hardness or each of these steels.

Steel - Total cards cut
10V - 1044
S60V - 1030
S90V - 1014
3V - 682
S30V - 541
154CM - 468

Thank you all very much.

So witch one would be better for like EDC
I have a vantage force pro that I use for work and stuff
I mainly use it for cutting cardboard and I have to sharpen it like once every 2 weeks.

After looking in my notes I found that 154cm made 1800 cuts and S30V made 1900 cuts on 1/4" sisal rope. So, just close. The 154 steel has some other qualities like ease of sharpening that S30V may not have.
The two are different and I wouldn't favor one over the other based on edge retention alone. S30V is a powder metallurgy steel. There's so much more to the equation. "Data in the real world beats lab data any day." From Jeff Hubbard, a long term Buck Knives employee. DM

For a smaller fixed or folder EDC my experience would say go for 154cm for a bit easier to sharpen and a little more corrosion resistance. S30v I like for bigger & harder use knives.

As always, Your mileage may vary.

Not to short Mr. Dozier, as he's a Legend in the custom knife making industry. The last I read was Bob doesn't do a cryogenic cycle during heat treating his blades and Buck does. However, his grinds and shapes are very good. DM

now all youal buck nuts should know dat der is no perfict steel...
it all depends on what ya wants it to do as a edge...
what you would want to shave ya face wit is not what ya wants in the woods don't ya see...
I kind o like the s30v ... but the bg42 aand the 154 are good steels also
seems I heard that back in the day ( early 60"s) ... 440C was considered a supper steel also,...
don't mater much ... I mead all ya buck nuts know that there are two kinds of sharp any way ...
right?????
oh well catch ya later ...

I think what I'm going to do is get me a CSAR-T and get some real
World testing. It sounds like there very close I know the s30v on my vantage force pro
Gets toothy really quickly and it likes to roll if I cut double thick cardboard.

It we'll be fun to see what 154CM we'll do.

Thanks again

yes sir I used to double bevel my 110 years ago ...
but not so fine as to call it micro ....
I kinda follow wit D martin ... if it be rolling the edge
then it might be to little angle ...
sharper extreme angles do some times roll or even chip some what...
again the edge you pot on a razor to shave with will be a good bit
different then the edge you do for to cut meat with ...

A edge angle in the range you state, should not roll. Just from cutting cardboard. DM

Back