15n20 Batch! .049" thin

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I decided to profile and heat treat some 15n20 while I am waiting on new belts, this stuff is cool! I started a few kitchen knives, a kiridashi and a Murray Carter inspired necker. These are heat treated! That is always a small victory with stock this thin, it can warp like crazy.

I am a big fan of 15n20, it is super tough and holds a great edge. It only comes in thin sizes as it is made for commercial bandsaws. This size is also commonly used for Damascus, it is the shiny stuff you see as it will not etch as black because of the Nickel content.

Untitled-38.jpg

Will be cool.
U know this, chef, but smooth or round your spines.

Last edited:
The kitchen knives look really nice but it's the dashi I desire. I sorta have a thing for the kiridashi knife. I often carry one as my secondary EDC. In reality the dashi probably sees the most use day to day. So useful for small tasks and leather work.

Daniel if that one will be available I'm interested.

Brian

I
Will be cool.
U know this chef, but smooth or round your spines.

Thanks Chef! I hear you on the round spine thing. As you know I was a chef for years... I have hurt myself a few times cutting all day with a square spine. I always rounded mine but I remember getting a new Wusthoff one day and literally bleeding from the sharp spine.

I'm sure you know how it is, I have started many days by cutting 200 pounds of half frozen whole chickens into deboned 8 piece! tough work for sure!

Look great, especially the chefs knife in the middle.

Thanks! That is my American style in the middle for rocking style cuts and the other is more of a Gyuto style for slicing with more of a Japanese technique.

The kitchen knives look really nice but it's the dashi I desire. I sorta have a thing for the kiridashi knife. I often carry one as my secondary EDC. In reality the dashi probably sees the most use day to day. So useful for small tasks and leather work.

Daniel if that one will be available I'm interested.

Brian

Thanks and it can be yours, I'll grind it and get back to you with a price.

I made the Dashi on a whim, it was the cutout from the chef's knife but after holding it I think I will order some stock like it for more.

It is a larger keychain size and seems weightless... the forward hole is for grip, control and sheath retention.
'

Daniel! I don't miss those days one bit! Do you yo?

Not at all! I miss some of the people and I love cooking but the overall scene I can do without!

Sounds good, I'm ready when you are.

Brian

Cool, I am close one it and will talk to you soon. It will be inexpensive for sure. It is sharp as can be and the grind came out awesome!

Looking good, Will be watching to see how they turn out.

Thanks! I have them mostly ground, the Gyuto Chefs Knife may be the sharpest knife I have ever made, it is downright frightening.

15N20 is good stuff; I made a few knives from it in the past, and was impressed.

i am just starting out making knives, and my first project is a few kitchen knives just like this. i was able to get some 0.09" 15n20 stock from aldo, so i'm able to start a bit thicker than you, but i would love to hear any advice about heat-treating this steel and in this thinness. have you ever tried to put a hamon on this steel?

also, i unfortunately have no band saw or drill press. soon i will find out if i can cut the blanks using a hacksaw or a rotary cutter drill bit.

15N20 is good stuff; I made a few knives from it in the past, and was impressed.

I agree, it is impressive. Check Aldo for the new .095" I think he just got it made. :cool:

i am just starting out making knives, and my first project is a few kitchen knives just like this. i was able to get some 0.09" 15n20 stock from aldo, so i'm able to start a bit thicker than you, but i would love to hear any advice about heat-treating this steel and in this thinness. have you ever tried to put a hamon on this steel?

also, i unfortunately have no band saw or drill press. soon i will find out if i can cut the blanks using a hacksaw or a rotary cutter drill bit.

Nice!

Advice on heat treat - it is a simple heat treat... soak at 1480 for a few minutes and quench in oil, most any quench oil will do, I prefer 11 second oil as that is perfect but canola will be great if you have no quench oil. Temper twice at 350 F for 2 hours, that will be great for a kitchen knife.

You can bring it just past nonmagnetic for a minute or two then quench if you have a limited setup or a forge.

I would grind it post heat treat or just leave the edge thick and even. I would highly recommend heat treating some smaller knives first, a big kitchen knife can easily warp even if you are careful with everything.

You can use a hacksaw for sure, get some lenox blades and a high tension saw, this inexpensive setup will plow through thinner steels.

Good luck! :D

I agree, it is impressive. Check Aldo for the new .095" I think he just got it made. :cool:

Nice!

Advice on heat treat - it is a simple heat treat... soak at 1480 for a few minutes and quench in oil, most any quench oil will do, I prefer 11 second oil as that is perfect but canola will be great if you have no quench oil. Temper twice at 350 F for 2 hours, that will be great for a kitchen knife.

You can bring it just past nonmagnetic for a minute or two then quench if you have a limited setup or a forge.

I would grind it post heat treat or just leave the edge thick and even. I would highly recommend heat treating some smaller knives first, a big kitchen knife can easily warp even if you are careful with everything.

You can use a hacksaw for sure, get some lenox blades and a high tension saw, this inexpensive setup will plow through thinner steels.

Good luck! :D

yes, i was wondering about the grind given how thin it already is. first, i was going to cut out the shapes and smooth out the edges on the grinder. then i figured i'd try to taper at least some flat grind into the blade, but only a little to leave an edge for heat treating. are you suggesting i try just heat treating without any grind on the 0.09" stuff?

i don't actually have a forge yet, and am trying to decide between sending out, building a simple "one brick forge" (i really don't have the equipment to attempt a more sophisticated self-made forge though i know everyone seems to do this), or springing for one of the $500 forges like an NC, chili, or ellis.

i would like to try hamon in the near future, so getting a forge seems an inevitable necessity.

right now, my plan is to work on blanks for a gyuto, a paring knife, and a longer sushi style knife. will probably start with the paring as you suggest.

Back