17.5" WWII Model

Its finally here, 17.5" WWII model. It has a bone handle and the blade is about 11 7/8", the weight is 689.4 g. Certainly a well made knife.

I found the knife to be on the dull side but totally adequate for chopping. In my eagerness to test it I did not burnish the edge to razer sharpness.

I sectioned a 2x4 into 5 pcs (chopped through 4x). The performance was extremely consistant 10 chops for each sectioning. Not surprisingly, a razor sharp edge is not required for chopping.

While I have not tried real trees I believe this is now my second best chopper. The first best is the 20" Ang Khola and third the 15" Ang Khola.

I discovered putting extra energy into the 17.5" WWII model improved performance. I could not get the 20" Ang Khola to go faster no matter how much effort I put into it.

The blade thickness profile is very similar to my 16.5" WWII model yet it is considerably heavier. What is the density difference between bone and wood?

Tough decision time is this a new favorite for me (16.5" WWII model current).

Will

Will is the grind on the WWII similar to the Ang Khola? What about the curvature of the blade?

As for density. Some hardwoods are actually more dense than water (1000 kg / m^3) and will sink not float. Most bone sinks in water quickly unless its from some bird as they are very lightweight (they have hollows filled with air).

Anyway I would guess that the bone is heavier than the hardwood but not by a lot.

-Cliff

I know the customer is always right but I am almost certain the handle is buffalo horn and not bone.

Thanks, Will, for report. Sharpening expert that you are I never check a blade being sent to you for sharpness.

Bill

Cliff the blade is bent like a boomerang.

Starting from the spine the blade concaves slightly for about 0.625" then it thickens back to the approximately the spine thickness in the next 0.625". This is where hammer signs are most visable. The blade then slopes towards the sharpened edge. The is not constant slope it is is slightly convex.

Bill, I could probably not tell the difference between bone and horn. If you keep correcting me, that H.I. knives have horn handles not bone I will eventually get it right.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 19 March 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 19 March 1999).]

Back