18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

Hello Dear Forumspeople,

normally I am at the busse forum, but now I heard about the carother knives.
I want to buy a K18, what I have to do to get one?
Can I order it at carothers home page?
Until now I have no gold membership of bladeforums.com?
Do I need one to get a carother knife?
How long is the waiting time on a K18?
Can I pay with pay pal and what is the price now for a K18?
How are the specification to day for a K18?
I hope my questions are not boring.
Thankyou for your answers

Hello Dear Forumspeople,

The pattern is retired.
Best bet is the secondary market.
There is a CPK buy, sell, trade thread in the stickies at the top of the Carothers forum.

You don’t need Gold membership to buy - only to sell.
PayPal works for direct buys from Carothers.
Secondary market is sellers discretion.

I'll also add that CPK just had one on eBay, so there might be the possibility for another on eBay in the future, but you'd have to ask Nathan or Jo.

It's also possible that they may still have one to post for a Friday sale at some point, but again you'd have to ask CPK.

Hello Dear Forumspeople,

I believe there should be one on eBay. It was listed by the maker ( Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist ), so it is legit. I tried to find it and post the link, but I could not for some reason.

You can try your chance on the second-hand market (i.e. the dedicated thread in the forum subsection). They also occasionally appear on Friday sales. You should check the thread called "The Next Sale" as the content of the Friday sales is announced there a few days prior to the sale.

Hello Dear Forumspeople,

There might still be a few K18s that trickle out through the Friday sales. Keep an eye on this thread for the next sale details. They're always Friday at 3 p.m. Eastern time in the Knifemaker For Sale: Fixed Blades subforum. You will need to refresh that subforum page and be the first to post in the sale thread, which is usually a matter of fractions of a second.

The pattern is retired and will not be made again. It was only available for preorder in April 2019 and the only swords still being made are what Nathan is able to finish from blades that were made as extras from that preorder run to cover problems. Those are the ones that occasionally come out for the Friday sales.

You cannot order it at the Carothers web site, any additional ones for sale have only come through the Friday sales.

You do not need a Gold membership to buy knives in any of the sale forums, you would only need a Gold membership to sell or to request values on a knife you have.

The waiting time on the production K18 was >18 months if I recall correctly.

The price for the last K18 that was sold on the Friday sales was I believe $1,800. CPK did sell one on eBay a month ago that went for $4,078 with 38 bids, and one sold just today from CPK on eBay for $3,328 with 21 bids. A couple have sold secondhand in the $2,000-$2,500 range, which was a good deal because those ones often had sheaths as well, which is a $100+ item even for kydex on a sword this size. But those also sold in seconds.

The specifications for the K18 can be seen in this last sales post from about a month ago.

My only regret about the K18 was not getting more than one.

Last edited:
I will never produce another run of the K18s however this pattern isn't completely retired yet, it's just very time consuming to make so I haven't been making them. There are more machined blanks that need ground and finished and sharpened and assembled and we will do that at some point but right now we are focused on the utility fighter pre-order and getting these DEKs into production.

Wow. That's amazing. And a testament to CPK. Love it. Wish I had 2 of them.
wish I had one
arrested-development-george-michael-bluth.gif

Hello Dear Forumspeople,

Answers.

1) Keep your eyes open on this forum and maybe eBay. You cannot just order one from Carothers (I guess you **could** if you paid Nathan an obscene amount of money), but they come up for sale from time to time. I literally just got one today, even though I had given up on it a lomg time ago. 🕺

2) No.

3) No gold membership needed to buy.

4) There is no ordering, so the waiting time is literally until the end of time. 😂

5) If you find a seller who will take PayPal, then yes.

6) I believe the last one sold here for $1800. The last one on eBay was $3,328.

7) 18" Blade, 29" total length, Delta 3V, ~200", ~ 2lbs, 14 oz,

I played PnP D&D in the ‘70’s, fenced competitively in the 80’s, and became a surgeon in the 90’s. Later on I watched Knife or Death and was excited about the K18.

I had recurring images of baby carrots scattered all over the floor after receiving my K18 in its’ custom sheath from Mr. Paul Long. But in these nightmarish visions they weren’t carrots, they were fingers.

It is not a fighting weapon-type sword or a fantasy sword; the K18 is a masterpiece double-edged sword.

The blade is designed to efficiently cut, chop, and dismember things. Without extreme caution such “things” can easily include the users’ own body parts.

Think +5 Vorpal blade that has a level 17 prerequisite.

Last edited:
Back