1st Becker post- old friend, convexed

Hey guys. I recently found an old Bk7 that I have had for 12 years and had to post about it.

I usually stay over in the W&SS sub-forum but this seems to fit better here.
I was in the Army for 6 years, four active and two reserve. My MOS was 25V, hence the forum name. I really liked my job. It gave me the chance to be deployed to many different units, mainly to make training documentaries, and spend time with guys that taught me a lot about survival training and whats realistic from the FM's and whats Bu11sh!t. One guy that I became good friends with was a ranger from the 101st that was part of a team that I followed for three days (documentary film) and at the end of each week he liked to play "games" with bushcraft type things like racing to see who could make a fire the fastest in wet weather, etc... When I was going back to my unit he came up and tossed me a knife, his personal Bk7 (old Camillus). It was dinged up and had been "loved" like many hard use military knives. The coating was missing from a third of the primary grind. It had tons of character. I used this knife for the rest of my time served and then as a camp knife for the next few years but in time it was forgotten. My collection became more custom heavy and my gear more specialized. I grew to prefer convex grinds and uncoated blades and before I knew it, I had not seen my Bk7 in several years.

Well I found it. I was going through some of my old issued equipment to find things I could give to a friend's son who is an eagle scout and needs some gear for camping, real camping by the way, not that tent next to the car crap. Right on the side of my old ALLICE pack was my Bk7 with two strands of worn paracord hanging down from the bottom to tie it off to my weak side drop kit. It brought back some memories. I actually found myself getting a little emotional thinking about the things I had been through with this knife.

On to the bad stuff....
Some of the nicks were so deep that sharpening them out would remove a full 1/8th in of steel and make the edge bevel extremely thich at the shoulder. I don't own safe queens and as much as I wanted this knife to stay as it was given to me I felt that I wouldn't use it due to the thick edge.

I decided that this knife wanted to take a beating and it was wrong to let my nostalgia get in the way. I gave it a full height convex saber grind. I removed the platen from my 2x72 and reshaped the whole thing. This was only possible because the knife's flats were actually mildly convexed with a high point above the grinds mid point. Now I have a knife that I can use as it deserves. It is Razor sharp, with an edge finished to the 9 micron belt and then stropped. Here are some pics of the knife now. I also have pics of wood processing (A LOT) on my camera and will download them shortly.

Bk7 with convex saber grind

Bk7convexed.jpg

Bk7 in hand

024-1.jpg

I found a naked spot on my current pack. I wear this at work daily.

028.jpg

Naked no more, new home for my Bk7

029.jpg

027.jpg

Did I mention its sharp:D

023-1.jpg

That knife is STUNNING!!!!! Awesome grind out, man, that is sweet, and the full sabre convex is a stellar grind to have. Awesome, absolutely awesome.

Moose

I want to see pics of the 72!!!:)

you got paracord.......

That is probably the best BK7 I've seen yet, very nice indeed.. good job and a big whoa for your service to our country, you rock!!!

Thanks everyone. I have a few battoning pics and some fuzz sticks to post but am having trouble with my photobucket accout. Trying to fix it now. Tomorrow's pics will be the real test! I have 1/4 cord of wood to make into kindling. Thats right, all that wood will be kindling. I'm gonna process all of it with the Bk7. This wood was split with a hydrolic splitter and cut with a cross cut saw so it is the biggest possible size to process with this knife. I'll get before, during, and after pics and then make feather sticks and report back on the edge. One of the reasons I like the convex saber grind so much is that when battoning your edge isn't touching the wood after the first couple inches.

P.S. This Becker has served me well for so long that I just ordered a Bk9 and an Eskabar and should get them next week.

awesome reconditioning job. looks... better than new :)

nice backpack too. what is? looks like maxpedition falcon something or other, but i can't tell one bag from another some days...

mmm, paracord?

Nice blade mod! I'd love to try that on mine, but alas, I would screw it up!

That looks friggin awesome!! Makes me want to strip the primary grinds of both my BK7 and my BK2

I got my photobucket issues straightened out so here are the rest of the pics from yesterday.

First chunk to split

bk7003.jpg

bk7004.jpg

bk7005.jpg

bk7007.jpg

Followed by a few more

bk7009.jpg

Half way done

bk7016.jpg

A well used batton, seasoned oak

bk7011.jpg

Still plenty sharp

bk7024.jpg

I mentioned yesterday that I have 1/4 cord being dropped off. I'm still waiting..... impatiently. Can't wait to really put her through her paces.

Great knife. Nice pack. What's not to like?

This thread earns two of these: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's making me really want to convex something. I thought about my 9, but I think I'll get another BK2 to convex. Hell, my wife is wantint a 7 and I could use another one, perhaps, all of them will be 'vexed. Now, I just have to learn how to do it.

Moose

Back