2 S7 Choppers

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Here are a couple of big choppers I'm working on for orders. Both are mega thick and ultra tough 5/16" S7 steel. These are still rough and are pre heat treat, both are at 60 grit. More pics soon!

Havok - a Gooeytek design!
006ih.jpg

This one is based off a customers description, it has an easy to sharpen weight forward design. The grind on this one has a little ways to go before it all comes together.
024hn.jpg

Nice...

These 2 are so freaking huge I have gone through 6 new belts just to get this far! :eek: :D

I can probably rough grind 4-6 regular sized knives (9" long 1/8" thick) with one belt, these are exponentially big! :cool: :eek:

too bad there aren't any bears on Long Island. we do have some vicious squirrels.

too bad there aren't any bears on Long Island. we do have some vicious squirrels.

The harpoon is for whale hunting, good thing you are on an island! I wouldn't mess with the squirrels though, they stole my compound... anything that sneaky scares me!

They are making their own little poon-tip choppers. i think you should keep a vigilant watch over the next few weeks, as you might be caught in the middle of a squirrel vs blue jay uprising.

They are making their own little poon-tip choppers. i think you should keep a vigilant watch over the next few weeks, as you might be caught in the middle of a squirrel vs blue jay uprising.

I'm telling you man, it was crazy! I'm on the lookout! :D

Wow! 6 belts, thats about 45.00 right there guys. Those things aren't cheap.

I was getting these ready to send off for heat treat... something I have never done before as I have a nice kiln. These were too big though and my kiln didn't get hot enough...

long story short I have a new bigger and better kiln on the way! 24" and digitally controlled!

The turn around time on the kiln (they are made to order) will be less than sending them off for heat treat according to the kiln manufacturer. This really rocks in more way than one, these choppers will be done sooner and I get to keep them sole authorship!

Thanks to all of you that have supported me so I can make this happen! You know who you are!

Daniel, let me know if you want to sell that old kiln.

Daniel, let me know if you want to sell that old kiln.

I would but it is my wife's kiln for lampworking also, it has a special door for inserting beads and stuff.

You should check usaknifemaker, the sugar creek kilns with digital controllers are a steal.

what does she make out of the beads?

She makes earrings, bracelets and the rare necklace from her beads. She is into lampworking, her beads are killer!

Before I made knives we sold jewelry for years, she made most of it... I cut stones to sell to jewelers and for her to wire wrap. We also sold stones and lapidary rough, we found most of the stones ourselves.

Rhodonite was our specialty, I have mined and sold tons (literally) of a rare variety. Fun stuff!

Looking good Daniel. S7 is some tough steel. Doesn't harden & temper real high but it sure is impact resistant.
Scott

Looking good Daniel. S7 is some tough steel. Doesn't harden & temper real high but it sure is impact resistant.
Scott

Super tough! I plan on tempering it to around 58 RC. I know what you mean though, that is about as hard as you can get it and still have it tempered for super toughness. :D

Thanks for the kind words, I am a big fan of your work!

Back