2011 DPx HEST Fixed Blade Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYP

We are pleased to announce that the DPx HEST fixed blade will be manufactured by Tops Knives. The steel, finish and fit will be identical and those of you who know Tops' products will find the HEST as indestructible as ever.

We will be taking dealer orders in a few days. Looking forward to working with Mike and his crew.

http://www.topsknives.com/

Awesome! I've been looking at one of those. I don't know why thats "surprising" but since he didn't change the design I'm sure it'll be excellent quality like the rowen ones. As soon as I get the money, I'll order one.

~Robert

That is quite surprising. :eek: I would have thought that staying with Rowen to make them would have made more sense. But I guess there are more considerations to take into account than convenience.

Good luck in your new relationship with Tops Knives. :thumbup:

No changes then ? I love my HEST. I think it would be cool also to see one made the same way, but just a bit larger 4" blade? Can you imagine a big version of it? SWEEEET!

good news, ..and maybe the sheath will have the rotating steel spring clip that TOPS put on many of their sheats...

Actually its funny what a small world the knife world is. Tops and Rowen go waaay back and they are essentially in the same geographic spot.

But honestly Mike as former SF guy knows the real world and works with people who are trying to push the boundaries for real world knives and I like that. He makes some of the biggest, ugliest knifes I have seen so the tiny HEST should be a no brainer. We will work on a new sheath and keep my same design that has proven to be a winner.

I looked at some other people who make knives at SHOT and I didn't get a good vibe from the mall ninja, made in Taiwan direction many manufacturers are heading in. Its OK to make fun knives but I want to make knives that still work and look good when they stink like three week old bodies.

There were some brands that were just sticking to what works like Pro Tech (picked up a wicked toothpick) and some hot shot new companies like Mantis where I couldn't even figure out how to open half their knives. But for the HEST I like a company like Tops that has been driving in its lane for years and delivers good value for money.

Glad to see that you were able to keep the HEST made in the U.S.A. Robert , i was wondering if you were gonna be able to do that or not. I currently own two of the Rowen made versions and look foward to trying out the TOPS version.

Damn
I'm F5'ing so hard on the TOPS site right now, my hands hurt.
Any idea of the ETA on those blades, after the order?

I like TOPS knives and think they make some real nice knives, some can be a little over the top but most are pretty nice. I sell a ton of TOPS and think providing the HEST fixed remains closely to the original design there will be no issue with selling them. Thank you for the information.

This question may be too early to get an answer to, but will the HEST II (standard 1095 steel) made by TOPS be similar price wise to the original HEST?

I paid a little under $100 for my HEST, and much more than that get's out of range of many knife users.

Might be the first TOPS knife I buy. As long as they don't bump it up even thicker, or put a bunch of "traction notches" where they don't need to be. In other words, as long as they stay reasonably close to the original design.

If not, I'll be disappointed, but happy that I have two Rowen HEST's already. Awesome knife.

Good question there from DH1, I was thinking the same thing.
TOPS knives are expensive...

This question may be too early to get an answer to, but will the HEST II (standard 1095 steel) made by TOPS be similar price wise to the original HEST?

That is a VERY good question. I'm betting not, but time will tell.

Tops is a great company. Shon and I visited with Mike Fuller the last day of the show and will be sending him all the specs and a sample of the Rowen HEST as he requested, so I think you will see some good product coming out of the DPx / Tops collaboration.

Good question there from DH1, I was thinking the same thing.
TOPS knives are expensive...

Some TOPS knives are a little expensive yes, but mostly their larger knives depending on the steel type. Most of their knives in this size range are around the $100.00 mark and just a little over.

I knew the change was coming and to me this turned out well. I have put, and continue to put, several TOPS knives through some rough paces. Their F&F is always excellent, the knives have always been tough as hell, and they are made right here in the USA. I'm looking forward to seeing this happen!

Retail price, dealer price, build quality and warranty will be identical. We will offer some new colors, sheath will be different. Tops has fun with their knives and is always thinking outside the box, but a HEST is a HEST tho... :)

Retail price, dealer price, build quality and warranty will be identical. We will offer some new colors, sheath will be different. Tops has fun with their knives and is always thinking outside the box, but a HEST is a HEST tho... :)

New colors? And it gets even better, cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back