2023 North Carolina Bladesports competition and also the CPK Outlaw Cut and knife show

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The purpose of this thread in informational. I'll update this first thread with updates and information as I get it.

Lets minimize chitchat in this thread so any important questions or information don't get drowned out. "have fun everybody, I wish I could make it" doesn't need to be posted here, but "I ran out of gas, can somebody come pick me up" belongs here. "Is Matt Gregory here, he owes me money" belongs here. "I have a weird rash on my ball sack, can somebody look at it" only belongs here if you and your funky ball sack are here and you need someone here to look at it.

There is Bladesports training here at the CPK compound on Friday 10th for people who want to get Bladesports qualified for the sanctioned race on Saturday 11th in Gastonia N.C.

The sanctioned race in Gastonia is on Saturday. It is located at the Gastonia Harvest Festival and food drive at the Rotary Centennial Pavilion at 198 W Main Ave, Gastonia, NC 28052 and cutting begins at 2:00
After that race some folks will be coming out the CPK shop in Mooresville. Mooresville and Gastonia are about an hour apart. Mooresville is very nice. Gastonia isn't. Choose your accommodations accordingly.

The get-together in Mooresville starts after the cut on Saturday. There is no set time frame, just come out if you want. There is an open bar, a heated tent and dinner will (hopefully) be served around 6:30. (I have to get packed up and drive back from the race so this may be a little flexible). Park in the field leading up to the shop. Don't block people in. I set two cones in a level area that you can drive across. And I marked an area in the grass where you can safely exit that area. When you exit you can drive down to the house and there is a turn-around. Don't just drive into any field from just anywhere because you'll end up stuck in a ditch. If you get stuck, you could post in this thread so we can come up and take a picture of you to post on this thread while I get the tractor.

There is a port-a-potty near the parking. It doesn't have a sink. Come down to the shop and wash your hands in there. Or piss in the woods. Or in the road. Or on each-other. I don't care.

There will be a bon-fire. If you're camping here, please exercise some common sense if you have a fire.

The "compound" is about 10 acres. This may seem like a lot of space to some. And, if the leaves will stay up just one more day, it will feel like we're out in the sticks. But the reality is, we're in Mooresville and this place is populated. We have neighbors. WE NEED TO BE CONSCIENTIOUS ABOUT SOUND AND OTHERWISE IRRITATING MY NEIGHBORS. I don't exactly have a permit for this weekend.

We may or may not do some shooting. I will play that by ear. Don't shoot anything without me being present.

Sadie dog is here. There's no nice way to say this, that dog in an asshole. We're going to try to keep her up, but if you encounter her, don't run, keep your hands (and fingers) up and away from her, don't try to push her off with your feet (she likes to bite feet). Just be cool and you'll be fine. Probably. The other dogs are harmless. We will keep the dogs put up in the house, but just be aware there are dogs here and they do need to go outside to pee etc. And watch your step, there's dog shit. There's a hose up at the shop.

On Sunday we will have the unsanctioned outlaw cut here at the shop in Mooresville. There will be a mandatory safety meeting starting at noon. There is a $50 entry fee to compete. This helps pay for the materials and also the prize. Please compete, this helps pay for the race. First prize is your choice of a D2 skinning knife or $500 cash. Second prize is $100 cash. 3rd prize is $50. If you're going to participate in the cut you need to be at this meeting at noon for important safely information, to get familiar with the course and to sign your life away with a waiver. Please note, if you get hurt in this event, either as a spectator or a competitor, don't sue me. If you're one of those people that sue people, don't come out. If you do sue, I will bury you in the creek. This cut will basically be a normal bladesports type cut but you can run any knife (or sword) you want.

The way this race works: We will double the points normally given for a competition because this will encourage people to slow down and we want this to be safe. You will have a number of targets worth different amounts of points. Targets will include things like hanging rope, hanging paper, a cherry tomato on a golf tee, rolling balls, drinking straws, 2X4s wooden dowel etc. You will earn points for your cuts. You are also timed and each second is worth one point. So, you might make 20 points on your 2X4 and it might take you 30 seconds to make your cut. That's bad. Or you make 20 points on your 2X4 and you do it in 10 seconds. That's good. At the end of the race we calculate your score. Best score wins.

After the Sunday outlaw cut we will have a knife show and sell our weekly sale here in person. Mark has been working hard making some especial one-off pieces that I know you guys are going to love and we will also have some of the standard patterns too. Please bring cash for in-person sales.

There is an open bar with liquor, beer and cigars this whole time. We do not have an alcohol license so we are not selling alcohol, but if you feel moved to put a contribution for the beer fridge in the jar it would be appreciated.

After the show we will have dinner at 6:30. I'm going to grill some steaks. It's meat and potatoes and probably some other stuff.

I will update this thread as I get more information.

Good info! I’m not going to get to the cut, coming straight to your shop and may get there a little before you. The back of my truck is also my tent, should I park in parking or camping or are they the same place?

Good info! I’m not going to get to the cut, coming straight to your shop and may get there a little before you. The back of my truck is also my tent, should I park in parking or camping or are they the same place?
Yes you park where you camp and camp where you pee... as long as you don't camp in your pee you can park anywhere

As long as you don't camp where you park

............ uh oh there's those beers........

I will get you set up somewhere private to camp before dark

Back