4.1 Seconds Order Average shipping Time

An expertly sharpened knife is a joy, no question.
Don't know how much it would expedite delivery times, but assuming that was the main bottleneck, I wonder how many would opt to receive an unsharpened knife given that many have the tools and skills to put very fine edges on their blades. I imagine that almost everyone here has bought otherwise great knives where the factory edge was less than perfect and needed some work/reprofiling. And for those of us that intend to actually use the knives, the original edge is only temporary anyway.
I can't really see a perfectionist like Guy liking the idea of shipping an unfinished knife, but if it shaved months off of wait times I could be tempted if that option was offered to me...
Guy's vision has always been to give customers a laser sharp and perfectly executed knife at as reasonable of a price as possible. Kind of like I said above, this is the reason for all his success and all his shortcomings.

Finding various ways to get stuff out faster has come up several times before, but Guy chooses to keep his current GSO line the same despite all costs.

Now as far as the SK line, that could very well be what he needs to sell stuff to make money and ship stuff in a reasonable amount of time all while continuing to put his passion (and OCD :D) into the GSO line.

Guy's vision has always been to give customers a laser sharp and perfectly executed knife at as reasonable of a price as possible. Kind of like I said above, this is the reason for all his success and all his shortcomings.

Finding various ways to get stuff out faster has come up several times before, but Guy chooses to keep his current GSO line the same despite all costs.

Now as far as the SK line, that could very well be what he needs to sell stuff to make money and ship stuff in a reasonable amount of time all while continuing to put his passion (and OCD :D) into the GSO line.

I understand completely.

I still want the knife so I will not cancel. Just better be perfect when I do get it considering how long it has been. The starter 7/7 that I ordered did have a discount but it was my first custom knife and I knew there would be a wait but I do not think anybody knew it would be this long. I also have thought that may be me complaining put me on there shit list and others received there orders sooner.

Thanks, SN!

I'm new to the forums - S!K and CPK are the two that share primary responsibility for that - and didn't really know what to expect. There's a great group of people to be found here and they make this hobby both more interesting and more fun.
Wow, you did a graceful swan dive into the two best knife companies I know of. We were all new here once!

I still want the knife so I will not cancel. Just better be perfect when I do get it considering how long it has been. The starter 7/7 that I ordered did have a discount but it was my first custom knife and I knew there would be a wait but I do not think anybody knew it would be this long. I also have thought that may be me complaining put me on there shit list and others received there orders sooner.
People have come in here and really made a scene and I saw no indication that their orders got delayed or moved ahead because of it. I hope you get that shipping notification soon.

Eliminating the bottleneck of Guy handling every knife is the reason for the SK line.
Survive has outside contractors do the major process steps and then fits and assembles every GSO knife.
As Silver and Chiral have mentioned the real magic of the "new spec" GSO knives is the amazing level of finish.
That level of finish takes time, and they have also been reworking seconds and "uglies" to recover the manufacturing costs on a large volume of "not quite perfect" blanks.
Those seconds and uglies are very fine knives as well, although if you look closely at them you might be able to find some flaw.
Refusing to ship substandard knives has resulted in a very long backlog, which takes us back to why they created the SK line.
It will take some time for them to finish out the models that are being shipped under the "old" business model.
Once the production volume of GSO knives has been reduced to a manageable level production times should improve.

I really don't think they have the time to decipher which customers have been complaining the most, because they are too busy making knives. :)

Wow, you did a graceful swan dive into the two best knife companies I know of. We were all new here once!

People have come in here and really made a scene and I saw no indication that their orders got delayed or moved ahead because of it. I hope you get that shipping notification soon.

The search for a solid performing, no-frills, mid-size knife in 3v with outstanding ergonomics and excellent f&f quickly led me to S!K. From there, finding CPK was inevitable.
Still regretting I was too late to the party for a CPK FK, but looking forward to an S!K GSO 3.5 in 20CV, an SK 6 in D3V and (hopefully, when it comes out) a CPK LW FK. Maybe a GSO 4.1 if 2nds become available.
That set-up would make me very happy indeed :)

Survive hasn't been offering the volume of seconds that they once did, but if you monitor their website closely you might be able to score one.

Survive hasn't been offering the volume of seconds that they once did, but if you monitor their website closely you might be able to score one.

Yes, I think you're right. Thanks for the advice on monitoring their website.

The 4.1 seems to be an all around favorite, and understandably so.

Still, I think I should be very well served with the 3.5/6 combo.

The 3.5 probably covers most of what I use a knife for and the 6 is for the remaining larger tasks.

I was comparing dimensions (both blade length and height) between two Gene Ingram's that I have - one a 3" and the other a 3.5" (it's also taller) and it's actually quite remarkable how much bigger the 3.5" is. That extra 1/2 inch and proportionate increase in height makes it look positively huge by comparison. 3.5" is a great size for allround use.

A 4.1 would be awfully nice, though.

We'll see.

The 3.5 was the one I immediately wanted when they released the specifications for the current generation of knives.
Unfortunately it was so far down the production list that I wound up with a bunch of other Survive knives while I was waiting. ;)

I placed an order for the 4.1 F2 mid March 2017, and i'm still waiting for it. It didn't take that long when I ordered a GSO 5 back then.

I have a 2nd 7/7 from January that isn't received. Over 180 days. And a 4.1 preorder from 2015 I'm still waiting on. I've mentioned before, I'm beginning to think "Survive! Knives" is a huge elaborate ruse.

As indicated in other posts, S!K is relatively new to me. They have a product that convinced me to give them a try and I haven't been on board long enough to feel my patience tested. I don't expect constant updates via the newsletter, but it might be nice to see regular posts on their instagram page (minimal time investment) that shows (even small) movement. I think that could go a long way towards putting some peoples' minds at ease. Dunno, just a thought.

Last edited:
They were doing quite a few Instagram posts the last couple months. They have not been posting this last month, and I hope that is good news. I hope they are running through the 4.1's and 7/7's like nobodies business!! Fingers crossed!

New post on Instagram re 4.1 2nds and 7/7s. More info promised for tomorrow.

Smile :)

New post on Instagram re 4.1 2nds and 7/7s. More info promised for tomorrow.

Smile :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught the post! It has since been removed. It got a lot of hate in the comments for showing the shop working on seconds while there are still unfulfilled preorders.
I really really hope this new production model improves things for both the company and Guy. I wouldn't be able to handle those kinds of comments personally. Mostly it is the tried and true "shipping notifications instead of excuses" attack that really gets me.
I wonder if the update he hinted at for tomorrow will have more details than the production update due out at the end of the week?

It was removed. Showed a bunch of preorders- most of the knives that I saw had the bow drill divots.

Back