4 Max Scout Pocket clip modifying help (too tight)

Hi,

4 Max Scout pocket clip is really tight and heavy compared to how much material it lets slide under it. It is nearly unusable with most clothing.

I would like to make it a bit more loose, or allow more clothing between it and the scale.

What sort of method have you done to solve similar problem in CS folder? Currently I'm keeping a coin under the clip but dunno if that helps.

if you have a store that specializes in fasteners you can find allen head screws that are a little longer, then you can place a couple of washers under the clip. the allen heads stick out a lot more but you can use them to retrieve the knife from the pocket easier. My complaint is that last bend in the clip that makes it hard to feed into the pocket. I tried tapping it with a hammer (on a SR1) and it snapped. So if I ever do that again Im heating the material first.

I slip a piece of half inch PVC under the clip. And then I keep lifting it gently until it is bent into the position I like. Unfortunately this does cause some of the black to chip off of the clip. But that's how I do it

I did this with an impinda a little while ago. Unscrew (or just loosen) the pocket clip and slide a piece of veneer, folded up paper, whatever under it, then re-tighten. It'll send the clip end out a significant distance while not physically altering the knife at all.

If clip tension is really aggressive.. as I often find is the case with Cold Steel knives.. I'd just remove the clip completely and use pliers, a vice, etc. (wrap clip to prevent marring) to gently bend/adjust it to your desired tension..

Is it entirely the clip? Or is it partly the texture of the grip?

My SOP for Cold Steel folders is to remove the clip and sand away the texturing underneath it. Then reinstall clip.

Drawing becomes much smoother and is much less destructive on your pockets.

Is it entirely the clip? Or is it partly the texture of the grip?

My SOP for Cold Steel folders is to remove the clip and sand away the texturing underneath it. Then reinstall clip.

Drawing becomes much smoother and is much less destructive on your pockets.
I sanded my scales down today and it helps a lot but the clip is still very tight.

I have not done this (yet) on my 4-Max Scout but have one other Cold Steel knives slid a couple dimes under the clip and let it sit for a few days or more; then a quarter for a few days, then a quarter and a dime, etc., etc. under the clip and let it sit for a week or more. Not as effective as bending the clip and/or relieving some of the handle slab materials underneath the clip - but it's easy.

I took my clip off, put some tape around the flat-end with the screw-holes, and clipped it into some vice-gripes. Bent-it up slightly: problem solved!

I have had to bend out clips before and knives and other things. IME it usually works. Just too tight factory tolerance and a bit of finness can fix it sometimes.

I have had to bend the clip to make it easier to insert and remove from my pocket. Just be careful and bend a very small amount at a time.

Back