499 fake

I recently saw this "Ontario 499" for sale,dated 3-11(they all seem to have this date),sold as new old stock with the sheath.
China made fake?
d5CKaot.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious as well. The lack of fuller and non-sharpened clip point is odd, but I'm not an expert on these knives. I find it kind of strange that I'm finding listings on eBay for many 499's that are stamped 3-11, even ones that look real. One seller with 99% feedback (and one I've purchased from in the past) has listings for both kinds (real and questionable), with a $24 difference between the two. Very odd. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable is able to answer.

I know that Ontario made a 499M Modified version a while ago,but didnt think it was as far back as 2011.
The seller of these swears he got them from Ontario only last year.
Maybe using up old stock pommels on new blades?
Seems very odd,to say the least.

499M’s were a Walmart exclusive for a while I think. There was also a 498M as well (Knifecenter has a page for that one, now discontinued). No fuller, no swedge. No idea of when they first came out unfortunately. I have one of each, when I get a chance I’ll dig them out and check any dates they may have.

No pictures yet, but my 499M is marked on the bolt “Ontario” over “3-11”. The 499M is marked “Ontario” only, on the ricasso.

Edit: looks just the pic in the first post.

Last edited:
I got my 499M from knife center, glad I got it, with a non sharpened swedge I can take it off my property. Its a great beater knife and it seems the no fuller gives it extra strength.

Back