522 vs 908 - Looking for advice on which Benchmade to buy next

I have developed a Benchmade addiction! I started with a 551 with the satin plain blade, and have quickly added a 531 and a 527. I LOVE these knives, and foresee myself buying many more Benchmade products in the future.

For my nest purchase I am debating between a 522 and a 908. This is going to be the knife that I keep in my pack when I go climbing and camping. Although I do not expect for the knife to see any very hard use, I place a high value on durability and want to purchase the more "tough" and durable of the two knives. Any advice from the knowledgeable denizens of this forum regarding which one to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

It would be pretty difficult to say which is more durable as their both pretty tough and rugged knives. The 908 Stryker would give you better grip and retention due to the grippy G10. For what it's worth I carried a 910 Stryker for many years and can personally say it's one tough knife.

Don't think you can go wrong with either way so I'd choose the one that appeals to you most.

Best of luck!

The 522 is nice but the tip comes down to a very thin profile. I've even seen one that the tip snapped off. I myself have been eye-balling the new 908 but the web site states that the blade is only .104" thick. Too thin for my tastes on that size of a knife. The tanto version is listed as .124" so hopefully the drop point will be the same. I have handled the new tanto version and the G-10 is perfect.

Thanks for all the great replies. Any suggestions for other similar knives from Benchmade that I should be considering?

Hi Wunderbar. I just looked at a few different online sellers and on BM website. In different places they list different blade widths for the 908. Some sources (including the BM website) list the thickness as .104", while others list it as .124". The BM 2014 Catalog lists the 903 and 904 mini Strykers as having blade thickness of .104" while both the full size Strykers have a blade thickness of .124". That makes sense to me, and I think that the correct thickness for the 908 is .124".

I'd recommend either the 520 that Redmasta mentioned, or the 950. Personally, I'd go with the standard 154CM Rift. I can vouch for it being a very tough and capable knife that wants only minimal upkeep. It'll be a bit lighter than the 520 with G10 scales instead of aluminium.

Back