7 inch butcher

Today I received and old Hickory 7 inch butcher knife. This knife was recommended to me by a local butcher whom I buy meat from. Recently I started breaking down whole roasts to make steaks. I asked my butcher for knife recommendations this is one that he highly recommended.

He told me in his shop he uses mostly Victorinox knives However at home he uses these knives. The knife appears to be solidly built. However the one that I received seems to have slightly loose scales. And the grind is off quite a bit. Enough so that it’s bothering me.

I’m sure the scales will come off but the edge is way lopsided. Especially around the tip where it curls up. The knife is sharp. Today I decided to use it to cut up some vegetables just for the heck of it. I clearly noticed the grind was causing the knife to pull to the side. I know it’s not a vegetable knife but if it’s pulling on veggies it’s going to pull on meat.

I’m kinda disappointed because of the high recommendation I received about these knives. I know they are not super expensive fancy knives they are work horses. But the grind / edge could be significantly better. I sharpen all my knives and I do have grinders and I do sharpen / repair knives as a side gig. I’m probably going to fix this knife edge on my 1X42 tomorrow. Is this a normal thing with these knives? I don’t expect an Exceptional knife edge from a $15 knife, however the edge was way off.

Back