781 Anthem a week in

I recently purchased a 781 out of curiosity. From what I could see it looked like a good fit for me. When I opened it my first impressions where good with a couple major drawbacks. Well get to the second part later. I love the ergos, size, blade geometry and 20cv is never a bad thing. I like the thin profile of the handle a lot and I have large hands. So within about 5 seconds I made the decision to put it in my edc rotation. The new spring on the axis lock looks like a more robust set up than the omega. Finish is perhaps a bit sub par for that price point. Anodizing is even and uniform. My clip is not a different color as I've seen on a review.
Now for the issues that I really believe with 10 mins on a production floor should've been addressed by hand. It felt extremely gritty. Both the axis lock actuation and the pivot. Also the clip does come almost 1/8 inch from the handle. It's very thick and stiff so I get it. However I don't believe the solution is to bend it out. Lastly there should've been a more aggressive tumbling of the handle post cnc or perhaps two stages as in the Chevron pattern there are slight mill marks. Not bad but they are there.
Being I will use this knife hard I decided to tear things apart and see what I could do. The pivot screws are locktited like crazy but aside from that it comes apart easily. The recess for the bearings is cut fully into the tang of the blade, none in the handle obviously as it's integral. So once the pivot is out it pulls right out. Both surfaces should've been a bit more refined for a smoother pivot. Actually the TI was smoother than the tang. I polished in the recesses a bit and did nothing with the TI. I also hand sanded and polished to a mirror the bottom edge of the tang where it rides against the axis lock bar. It was quite rough and unfinished. Now for the axis lock. I did not remove it from the knife, I didn't feel the need. The roughness came from the anodizing at the bottom of the recessed channel where it rides. Really small flathead screwdriver and a tiny piece of 800 and some patients. I then took a dremel with a 1/4" stone and ground the clip at the back where it takes the bend to go to the screws. I removed a groove about 1/3 of the way through. Then bent it against the handle with tape coated pliers.
Next reassembley. Locktited and put together carefully. Went back together easily. The bearings and blade are easy to slide in as one unit. I overtightebed the pivot and did 100 open closes to wear things in a bit then backed it off until no play but very smooth. It's now an amazing functioning knife and I'm glad I did it. Lock and action are smooth. Still get a tiny bit of feedback on just the bearings. Such a small surface contact area, if it's not perfect it'll happen and I'm sure what's left is on the titanium. It's been a week and it's getting a bit smoother. I'd still like to find some roller bearings or multi row the same size and swap them out. I am very picky. The least amount of stripped screw, blade play, stickyness, off centering etc ruins a knife for me, especially in that price range.
I am very happy now with the knife but to Benchmade, you are attempting to target a part of the market that from my years and years of doing this has eluded you. The overall on this piece is very good and in most respects it hits the mark for me at least. This was sort of a groundbreaking piece for you and as soon as it was announced I was reading the high end guys saying "that msrp for a BM, yeah right". It's up to you to prove us wrong. We are a tight community with no BS assessments of knives. If a corner is cut it's realized and word spreads immediately. I suggest with these higher offerings you take the time to do the hand work at the end. At this price it's really finishing the knife. For me, at 450$ that knife wasn't finished yet. I do love it and will carry it but people's expectations on something like that need to be met. Someone who simply collects or carries them once in a great while will not tear them down and take power tools to them. But, that being said, great knife and I'm impressed with the intricacies of the design. I look forward to having it in my rotation for a long time to come.

Thanks for reading.

Nice piece of work, thanks for sharing your experience. Very valuable for us all. For the price, and If you weren't both handy and patient we would have a different story. Yes, the final handwork at the end of the build could've made a big difference. Glad to know it worked out for you! (Benchmade/Jimmy, hope you read this post and address the F&F issues for a costly knife.)

I'd love to find some different bearings myself. Mine is pretty gritty as well. I also worry about them wearing into the titanium. Benchmade even said this could happen if you over tighten the pivot. Really wish they were riding on some steel.

most of the reviews mention all these problems. its sad that they rushed this to market without fixing these issues. at least your's had locktite on it, others didnt.

you would think they would stop production and re-design some things. hell you would have thought they would have givin them to a few people to beta test and give thoughtful input before putting it in production (if they did, they need to put them into more objective hands).

I agree. It's a great knife once these issues are corrected. It's crazy to me how much better this knife would be with 6$ more spent on bearings and a little human hand work at the end. They may be able to start pleading this market with such things.

Thanks for the writeup.

Despite my recent comments regarding Benchmade QC, I still purchased the Anthem to satisfy my curiosity as I do find this knife to be compelling. The Anthem should arrive today and hopefully it is in line with my expectations (requesting Centering, Blade Grind, and Blade Play to be checked and confirmed prior to shipment).

I've always found the Axis lock on Benchmades (coated blades, especially) to be quite stiff out of the box and over time do break-in. I'll report back once it arrives.

My Anthem arrived today. A couple quick notes:
- Blade was Centered
- Blade arrived with some play, but that was resolved with a slight pivot adjustment
- Blade grind is 'okay for a Benchmade'
- Pivot had NO Loctite

I am experiencing the same gritty-ness in the Pivot and I hope (but at the same time, doubt) it will work itself out. The bearing races aren't exactly a 'tight' fit to the milled pockets in the blade. I also am not particularly fond of the 'whirring' sound when opening and closing the knife.

All said, it is a solid knife in terms of lockup. It rivals the stoutness I have experienced in more 'hard-use' Benchmade designs like the Adamas and the Loco.

At $425, I expect so much more attention to detail. If you read the spec sheet, the price is 'fair', but Benchmade just falls short in the last and most critical mile (QC / Fit).

Last edited:
Blade centered
No blade play
Loctite has been applied
Edge is sharp, but not razor sharp.
Clip is not touching the scale

Ok, so mine is not perfect either.
I sharpened the knife myself, with my diamond lansky kit. The edge is now as sharp as it should be.
I adjusted the clip so it just touched the scale.
Carried it that way for just under a week, didn't like it.
Adjusted the clip back to its original placement, didn't like it. Tried to use a split arrow clip, but the holes didn't line up, fixed that.
The pivot action is noisy, not gritty, just noisy.
But I believe that's because the bearings are rolling on a titanium tuning fork. I think the one piece, hollowed out handle magnifies sound.
Now that I have given the knife the once over, it's perfect.
I know, I know, I shouldn't have had to do anything to it.
However, I am grateful that perfect was within the reach of my humble skills.
It is an awesome knife.
Definitely one of my favs.

6ee8632cdfd5749c507ac9383d41892b.jpg

Man hit and miss locktite? That's crazy. I really enjoy mine after correcting issues. Does anyone know the bearing size or make even. Thrush? I really want to put mrbs or rollers in. It would correct the very last bit of chatter I think. It's 95% better than it was and getting better but I don't like those tiny bearings at 58-60rc riding on 40rc TI. I'm sure it's non factor in the life of the knife but my OCD hates it. If anyone knows a direct fit replacement I'd appreciate it. Wonder if BM would tell me. Could get a micrometer worst case I suppose.

Congrats on your new blade!

Man hit and miss locktite? That's crazy. I really enjoy mine after correcting issues. Does anyone know the bearing size or make even. Thrush? I really want to put mrbs or rollers in. It would correct the very last bit of chatter I think. It's 95% better than it was and getting better but I don't like those tiny bearings at 58-60rc riding on 40rc TI. I'm sure it's non factor in the life of the knife but my OCD hates it. If anyone knows a direct fit replacement I'd appreciate it. Wonder if BM would tell me. Could get a micrometer worst case I suppose.

Congrats on your new blade!

.050" 440C thrust bearing.

Yeah that's the only bearing I see in .050". The thinnest roller I can find is 2mm. .050" is 1.26mm. Not a huge deal.
Thanks for the help.

Have you found one that will work yet? I would like to do the same thing.

Blade centered
No blade play
Loctite has been applied
Edge is sharp, but not razor sharp.
Clip is not touching the scale

Ok, so mine is not perfect either.
I sharpened the knife myself, with my diamond lansky kit. The edge is now as sharp as it should be.
I adjusted the clip so it just touched the scale.
Carried it that way for just under a week, didn't like it.
Adjusted the clip back to its original placement, didn't like it. Tried to use a split arrow clip, but the holes didn't line up, fixed that.
The pivot action is noisy, not gritty, just noisy.
But I believe that's because the bearings are rolling on a titanium tuning fork. I think the one piece, hollowed out handle magnifies sound.
Now that I have given the knife the once over, it's perfect.
I know, I know, I shouldn't have had to do anything to it.
However, I am grateful that perfect was within the reach of my humble skills.
It is an awesome knife.
Definitely one of my favs.

6ee8632cdfd5749c507ac9383d41892b.jpg

How did you go about fitting a standard split arrow clip? Mines coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'll want to go that too.

Back