8Cr13MoV stainless steel...

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I'm asking this here because I value the opinions of RAT people more than any others on this website. What do you guys think of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel? Do any of you have any of the Spyderco Bird knives with 8Cr13MoV blades? If so, what do you think of it and it's edge holding ability?

Hell, I couldn't even begin to type all of that without getting screwed up so I would not know anything about it. I have found the more numbers and letters something has, the less it's worth my time.

Hey dyl, I responded in the thread you started in the Spyderco forum, but, to summarize, I really like my Raven in 8Cr13MoV.

well i only own the Tenacious which uses 8Cr13MoV. i've mainly used it at my weekend job, opening boxes, plastic, shrink-wrap and other package materials. it performed alright. of course not as well as a higher grade steel. then again you don't pay nearly as much. in all, a pretty decent edc steel. can't tell you much else, i have not used it very hard in outdoor activities or something like that.

In my experience, the byrd knives are good for what they cost, the steel's nothing spectacular, but seems to compare favorably to steel used on other knives in that general price range

I have a SE Tenacious and use it in the yard as a dedicated beater knife. It has performed admirably in this role and the steel has held up, and held it's edge well. I've heard it compared to AUS-8 and I would probably agree. It sharpens back up to hair-popping levels quickly too. So yeah, a really good and inexpensive EDC steel.

dude i thought this was a "super steel" joke. :) seriously.

In order to give you an honest answer i would have to have had an inferior steel'd knife, and while some have needed more honing than another, other were a bit harder to get an edge on, none were huge disappointments so I am not sure i would know if this was a much greater improvement than another.

8Cr13MoV is pretty decent considering its super low cost. You get a lot of value for it.

Is it going to break any records? Hell no, but it sure does work--especially when you're on a budget. ;)

For the price i love it

It holds a fine edge and keeps it fairly long, and it's easy to sharpen:D

It's a supersteel if you consider the cost of the byrd line ;)

Why is that?

i have never seen that steel "name?" (composition) which doesn't necessarily say more than I might have a limited experience, you have to admit it isn't very easy to say, not like M4, or 154cm (didnt have the marketable sound to it), you know what i mean? it looked like a joke to me.

I did a review of a Kershaw knife awhile back that used this steel. Since it was a cheap Chinese steel, I really didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it took a wickedly sharp edge. It wouldn't hold it well, but it was very easy to bring it back to hair popping sharp with just a few strokes on the strop. I'll stick with my beloved 1095 for the most part, but I wouldn't look down on a blade with 8Cr13MoV.

i have never seen that steel "name?" (composition) which doesn't necessarily say more than I might have a limited experience, you have to admit it isn't very easy to say, not like M4, or 154cm (didnt have the marketable sound to it), you know what i mean? it looked like a joke to me.

Oh I gotcha. That does make sense. They may as well have called it Awh0L3bunCH0fnUmb3RSanDL3tt3RS stainless steel.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what a steel is named. Although it is annoying how there is 8Cr13MoV, 8Cr14MoV, 9Cr14MoV..etc.

I've found that it's sufficient for EDC purposes, but doesn't quite compare to VG-10 or 154CM.

Oh I gotcha. That does make sense. They may as well have called it Awh0L3bunCH0fnUmb3RSanDL3tt3RS stainless steel.

LOL, i dunno what kind of elements thos are:D.

8Cr13MoV is a low-alloy steel with 0.08% Carbon, about 3 % Chromium and Molybdenum and Vanadium

i hope i translated the elements right (im dutch ;))

It's a decent steel. I have a Spyderco Tenacious that is made with it. It seems a bit soft, even compared to something like 1095, but it's very easy to sharpen back up. It will rust if you leave it in your tackle box for a year. Otherwise, it's fine. Used mine for making cutbait all this year and it's still got a decent edge on it.

We are all agree the name sucks but the steel is very good. Easy to keep sharp. Forgiving.
Much better than some 154CM of some brands who spoiled their heat treating.
I got a Karakara plain edge G10 and I love it (great blade shape, solid lock, great ergos) and a Catbyrd wich proved to be one of my most solid folder I ever own.
Those Byrd knives are a pleasure to use in all conditions proving again that blade geometry and good heat treating are crucial over steel quality.

I have a Byrd Crossbill and it is ridiculously sharp. The Byrd line is insanely good for the price in my mind. I have heard the steel compared to Aus 8 and 440 C. I think I favor it to the 154 and and VG 10 because I can sharpen it. The harder Super Stainlesses are much more challenging to sharpen to a wicked edge for me. I am satisfied with my knives in that steel.

I carried a Benchmade Vex for a little while and it seemed to work fine, no complaints. It was the TAIWAN on the blade that made me trade it off, not the steel.

Back