90 Degree Spine?

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Please help me out. Why don't maker's and manufacturers offer 90 degree spines on certain survival models for striking firesteel?
I know Survive has a small area, but why not more companies/models?

Some knives have pretty sharp spines, I have an Enzo with spine edges sharp enough to shave bits off my nail...

Probably cause it cost more in production in terms of time and abrasives....

That being said it's an extremely easy process to do at home takes be 2 mins max on my belt sander

A lot of companies offer knives with sharp spines. That said, it's not universally thought of as a necessary item so not everyone wants it. Personally, my preference would be a 90 degree spine except for the first inch past the handle scales. That way when choking up and using my thumb for extra leverage the edges wouldn't be so inclined to tear up my skin. I wish more manufacturers thought to do that.

L.T. Wright is a great company that does a lot of fixed blades with 90 degree spines. I highly recommend their knives.

XfoLZnR.png

3bgt1dp.png

anZXMUj.png

Not everyone plans to use their $200 fixed blade as a ferro scraper?

Bic lighter solves that problem. Rounded spines are more comfortable.

A 90 degree spine is NOT what makes a firesteel spark. It's the sharp corners of the spine. Angle and corner radius are two very different measurements. A 90 degree spine with 3/32" corner radii will have almost no scraping capabilities.

Back