940 spine shaping...wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so, I've had my 940-1 for a little while now. I love the knife and it finds it's way into my pocket most every day. The one thing nagging at me is the uneven grinds on the spine of the blade.
Seriously Benchmade? The knife has been produced for years, there are countless posts, pictures, and videos showing the crooked grind on BOTH ends of the swedge. This is a known issue on a knife that retails for up to $270(!) and yet they continue coming out of the factory with sloppy grinds. I know their customer service is supposed to be great, but how about a little QC?
I love my -1 but seriously, wtf Benchmade?

Most of my Benchmades have uneven main grinds. So do most of my other production knives. Some companies are better than others for whatever reason, and it doesn't always have to do with which is the most expensive. :confused:

I don't mean the edge, which is actually fine on this knife (to my untrained eye) but the actual shaping of the spine.
This:
m6L9Ond.jpg

"Our commitment to world-class quality embodied in our well known motto – It’s Not a Knife. It’s a Benchmade."~ Benchmades website
I see a similarity... "If you don't an iphone, you don't have an iphone" But I agree, that is unacceptable from Benchmade it must be a bad batch. My COLD STEEL did a better job on grinding it out.

Definitely not a -1 but I can see your issue. My 940-1 is amazing until it's time to sharpen. I get it there but it took some getting used to. The 940 is awesome and so is benchmade in my opinion. Contact customer service they'll make it right.

Good luck.

Pretty sure my 940 and my 940-1 had uneven grinds in that same location.
After slightly dropping the tip on my 940 I was able to smooth and mirror polish the whole spine.
The 940-1 however is much less noticeable and honestly if I hadn't known about the issue on my original I might have never noticed. I feel like for what I paid the F&F on both is acceptable. Do I like the closed blade play, the "almost" rubbing that happens on the scale when opening? No definitely not, but I have faith if any of these issues did become a problem for me, that BM would remedy the situation to the best of their ability.
That being said I'll probably never send either one off for work unless the S90V starts giving me real trouble and I need life sharp.

I'm sure Benchmade will handle it for me, but I'm a little annoyed at the prospect of having to box the knife up, wait in line at the post office and lose the knife for a month for them to fix something that should have been caught at the factory. It also makes me think that if they're willing to let something so obvious and visible skate by on a relatively expensive piece, what are the chances of something being effed up where we can't readily see it?

As far as the lockup and physical function, I wouldn't trade a BM's reliability or strength for anything, granted I own no Benza..

I don't mean the edge, which is actually fine on this knife (to my untrained eye) but the actual shaping of the spine.
This:
m6L9Ond.jpg

Man, how rare is it to find a Benchmade with a perfectly centered blade, but dang it we cant let that get in the way of finding some other BS flaw to whine about.

p.s. That doesn't look like a 940-1?

Last edited:
That's not my knife, just a picture I found online. I didn't need to take a photo myself because there are plenty out there to choose from. I wouldn't call it a BS flaw when the knife costs what it does. My $30 Kershaws and Spyderco's don't have flaws like this (to say nothing of their actual nice knives) and they don't tout "the Benchmade difference" or tell me to "expect more". Don't tell me these fine American craftsmen can't cut a 90* angle.

Btw, my -1 does have a perfectly centered blade. That should be a GIVEN at this price point, not something to get excited about and CERTAINLY not something to be so thankful for that I'd be willing to overlook such glaring cosmetic issues.

Last edited:
That's not my knife, just a picture I found online. I didn't need to take a photo myself because there are plenty out there to choose from. I wouldn't call it a BS flaw when the knife costs what it does. My $30 Kershaws and Spyderco's don't have flaws like this (to say nothing of their actual nice knives) and they don't tout "the Benchmade difference" or tell me to "expect more". Don't tell me these fine American craftsmen can't cut a 90* angle.

Btw, my -1 does have a perfectly centered blade. That should be a GIVEN at this price point, not something to get excited about and CERTAINLY not something to be so thankful for that I'd be willing to overlook such glaring cosmetic issues.

Wait, wut? you start a hate thread in the sub forum and then post a pic of a knife you found online??? Not only do you have absolutely no credibility, but you are without a doubt the laziest troll I have ever witnessed.
Pound sand little boy I'm thru with you.

Dude, what are you talking about? Hate thread? I really like this knife and I've said so more than once. Despite that, this is some really poor QC on Benchmade's part. Apparently voicing my opinion, with photographic evidence, is considered trolling. Sorry I offended you, all mighty and weirdly aggressive Benchmade fanboy. If you're "thru with me" then kindly stop posting in my thread. Thanks.

tv8mn1N.jpg

Last edited:
Are you trying to make a coherent point or are you being a d-bag just for the fun of it? You haven't made a single constructive comment but you're doing a great job of crapping in my thread.
You say you're a CNC machinist, would you let something like that leave your shop?

Last edited:
Some of you on both side of this issue need to learn the meaning of the word "respectfulness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back