A basic owners guide for Emerson Knives

Blue Loctite is not a problem since you can break the bolt loose if need be. As for sharpening, I would hope it would be common sense that you sharpen the edge that was already sharpened from the factory. Right handed or left handed. There shouldn't even be a question.

We'll never assume people are smart enought To fgure it out. My personal observation is based upon over 300 hours a year voulentering as a safety officer at a shooting range., for over eight years

So have this saying about dumb questions, there are none. Only dumb mistakes that could have been avoid be a dumb question asked.

I disagree with you on this one. Maybe I misunderstood the question but it seemed that they were asking if the sharpening techniques were the same for both right handed and left handed knives. You said CLIP SIDE, and repeated it like you were yelling. You tend to do that a lot. You have a condescending way with responses in a lot of your posts not just in this thread. As a moderator I am WELL aware that there are no dumb questions.

To clear things up sharpening is the same for any chisel edged knife no matter what hand the knife was designed for. An edge is an edge.

And why didn't you want this thread to be a sticky? I thought that was a great idea. You seem to get mad at people posting for not searching. What help is that for anyone? Making this a sticky eliminates multiple posts and is a quick reference guide for people.

Last edited:
I disagree with you on this one. Maybe I misunderstood the question but it seemed that they were asking if the sharpening techniques were the same for both right handed and left handed knives. You said CLIP SIDE, and repeated it like you were yelling. You tend to do that a lot. You have a condescending way with responses in a lot of your posts not just in this thread. As a moderator I am WELL aware that there are no dumb questions.

To clear things up sharpening is the same for any chisel edged knife no matter what hand the knife was designed for. An edge is an edge.

And why didn't you want this thread to be a sticky? I thought that was a great idea. You seem to get mad at people posting for not searching. What help is that for anyone? Making this a sticky eliminates multiple posts and is a quick reference guide for people.

Well too me to many sticks take up too much space, in my poisoning, yes the original post was good information, on care & feeding if you get my drift.

Why I keep pointing on the fact about left verses right. It too me reduced confusion, and make all users understand as best words can describe.

If you thought I was "yelling", all I can say is I am sorry I confused you.

Last edited:
Great info. I'm new to Emerson. I owe my first one a CQC 7 . So far love it. A little stiff. Thank You for the info.
Blackbird

I can't get my roadhouse centered too save my life...always way off too locking side. Only way it will be somewhat centered is by flipping the pivot around the opposite way and not tightening it all the way...? Makes no sense, but every other fix doesn't do anything. I love the knife but something inside isn't right, and I can't figure it out. Also the lock stick, I thought it was supposed too wear in and go away. But it is really bad even with no oil whatsoever, and the sharpie method only helps for a dozen or so openings. :-\

I can't get my roadhouse centered too save my life...always way off too locking side. Only way it will be somewhat centered is by flipping the pivot around the opposite way and not tightening it all the way...? Makes no sense, but every other fix doesn't do anything. I love the knife but something inside isn't right, and I can't figure it out. Also the lock stick, I thought it was supposed too wear in and go away. But it is really bad even with no oil whatsoever, and the sharpie method only helps for a dozen or so openings. :-\

To center the blade simply loosen the pivot and all handle screws and then retighten starting with the screws on the bottom of the handle furthest from the blade and working your way up to the pivot. Hope that helps, as to the lock stick some graphite from a pencil on the lock face should solve that!

I have terrible lock slip on my super roadhouse. Where do I send it in to get it fixed? Also I never filled out that knife registration card when I bought it, is it still ok to send in for warrenty work?

I live in Toronto Ontario Canada. How much do I need to include for return shipping? Do I just include a cheque with the knife when I send it in? If so who do I make this cheque out to and how much should I include.

OK I'll be the dick.

Are you seriously, really asking this here?

If your Emerson brand knife ever develops any issues, call Gerber immediately to get the authorization number to ship it to Apple for warranty. Duh.

I have terrible lock slip on my super roadhouse. Where do I send it in to get it fixed? Also I never filled out that knife registration card when I bought it, is it still ok to send in for warrenty work?

I live in Toronto Ontario Canada. How much do I need to include for return shipping? Do I just include a cheque with the knife when I send it in? If so who do I make this cheque out to and how much should I include.

Get on Emersons website it will tell you how, and it wouldn't hurt to call them..

OK I'll be the dick.

Are you seriously, really asking this here?

If your Emerson brand knife ever develops any issues, call Gerber immediately to get the authorization number to ship it to Apple for warranty. Duh.

Pretty funny man... :thumbup:

In all seriousness and in good spirits, Lapedog, give them a call or email them (Emerson); I'm sure they'll take care of you. The Roadhouse is a great blade, they'll make it right.

Try cleaning the surfaces of the lock and blade where they contact each other with rubbing alcohol, that may help.

I tried the cleaning the locking surfaces, no dice.

I've been on Emerson's website, no info regarding shipping from Canada or related fees. I emailed them, never got an answer, and yes I checked my junk mail.

I saw an emerson rep here and asked, how is that wrong?

Guess you're not being a dick, but a presumptuous dick.

Looks like I'll have to call them.

I tried the cleaning the locking surfaces, no dice.

I've been on Emerson's website, no info regarding shipping from Canada or related fees. I emailed them, never got an answer, and yes I checked my junk mail.

I saw an emerson rep here and asked, how is that wrong?

Guess you're not being a dick, but a presumptuous dick.

Looks like I'll have to call them.
Not even presumptuous. Just a dick that didn't know why you would ask a bunch of random strangers about a situation unique to you.

It's common sense to call the company that makes your product when it exhibits issues. First thing. Specially if you don't possess the cookie cutter scenario.

I get Emerson Rep being on here, but you didn't tag him in any way that I saw. You just high jacked a sticky.

So that's me explaining being a dick.
Moving on to being friendly:

If a liner lock geometry is correct, cleaning it won't help. Yours likey isn't, as slip is usually caused by a steep tang. Despite common "knowledge" passed around on forums, lubricant on a correctly made lock face shouldn't cause failure, it should actually make it tighter.

I feel your frustration with the email. I had an Emerson for ages that had problems like you describe. I also had not a single email answered ever. If I hadn't been so dead set on being an Emerson guy (childhood grail) , I would have dropped the brand entirely, based on how I felt I was treated.

The flip side to this, and point, is that many others have had stellar experiences, that's what kept me going.

It's alarming how many lock issues Emerson knives still have. And no. You can't say that it's just haters or blah blah. The reports on here alone of brand new knives with issues are far too many to play that card.

I'll be the only Emerson fan probably in existence to to say it: something is wrong with either the design or implementation here. Lemons happen, but consistency indicates a problem somewhere.

Frankly, if Ernie could drop his pride, admit that, and look into rectifying whatever the problem is, he would have an even bigger following.

Yep. Blasphemy I know.
Whatever.

It sucks that you're going to have to pay out of pocket for something that should've worked right in the first place. Plus pay more because of where you live.

I sincerely hope you end up with a good experience here. There's something cool about these knives, despite their quirks and limited usefulness.

Great bunch of guys (and some dicks) around here to help you through your situation Personally, I came for the name, but stayed because of the people.

Good luck man.

It's ok my feelings weren't hurt. I figured there were probably lots of Emerson owners living in Canada who could benefit from the information.

I also love Emersons and they have always been one of my favourite brands, infact the first I fell in love with. My micro-commander had developed lock slip issues but somehow they just dissapeared over time, I guess worn away. My Super Roadhouse actually locks up sometimes ok if I just cleaned the locking face on the blade off. As soon as I lock it like 3-5 times and the tiniest bit of titanium gets ground onto that lock face the slipping starts again. It's too bad because my Emersons that lock good lock great and seem to have settled into one spot where there is no stick, rock, or slip.

Sorry Jamesh, but you are not correct about lubricant on lockface. It most definitely can and often will reduce a lock's stability.

Sorry Jamesh, but you are not correct about lubricant on lockface. It most definitely can and often will reduce a lock's stability.
Not if the forces and geometry of the lock are correct, brother.

I've studied the holy hell out of them enough to be confident stating that.

However, that discussion is not for this thread. I wouldn't really have the words or interest to hash it out further anyway.

So, I will have my opinion and respect yours.

Take care.

Hello. I just bought an Emerson ETAK-B and I love it! I would like someone to explain the sharpening-instructions in this originalpost .
English is not my first language and i dont really understand the instructions.

Thank you for answers.

Back