"A Cabin for One" Article

I ran across this article about building "A Cabin for One" at the Backwoods Home website and thought some here might enjoy it. I know I'm not alone here in dreaming about building a log cabin up in the remote wilderness.

-- FLIX

FLIX, very nice.

Man wouldn't that be nice !

I would be happy with one half that nice and half as big........

Thanks for posting that link.

Robbie Roberson.;)

Definitely a cool idea, but I'm still trying (seriously) to find my 20 acres in Montana first.

FLIX, very nice.

Man wouldn't that be nice !

I would be happy with one half that nice and half as big........

Thanks for posting that link.

Robbie Roberson.;)

I dunno, Robbie. This little cabin is only about 12' by 16', so half of that would pretty much be a nice outhouse!!! :eek:

Definitely a cool idea, but I'm still trying (seriously) to find my 20 acres in Montana first.

Me too, XMP, me too!

-- FLIX

Yup, me too. I'm looking around Troy, MT right now.:thumbup:

Twenty acres in Montana isn't cheap anymore. Twenty acres in the upper peninsula isn't bad though. :)

Twenty acres in Montana isn't cheap anymore. Twenty acres in the upper peninsula isn't bad though. :)
Yeah...the only thing.....the upper peninsula is a "brisk walk" from the Rocky Mountains.:)

I'm saving up (in gold, not dollars LOL!) for the same thing but I'm going to be putting the bulk of the money towards getting a real fine patch of land instead of the living structure I put on it. So where can you get a 4-season living structure for cheap? Taking a cue from the Conovers, I'm thinking an Egyptian cotton tent: http://www.tentsmiths.com/egyptian-cotton-top-tent.html

"While many people might dream of pitching a tent and living in it all summer, the Conovers live, year-round, in a 12-foot-by-20-foot wall tent. The tent was erected on 19 heavily forested acres that the couple own in remote Willimantic, Maine, 18 miles northwest of Dover-Foxcroft, the Piscataquis County seat. This isn't some romantic notion of camping run amok, Alexandra, 51, and Garrett, 48, have lived in a tent for 18 years."

For those looking for something more permanent, I've found this book real interesting:

The $50 and Up Underground House Book

http://www.amazon.com/50-Up-Undergr...taf_title_featured?ie=UTF8&tag=tellafriend-20

I posted this before but my friend Warren's cabin. It is a one person but he built a bigger kitchen onto it:

warrens1.jpg

warrens2.jpg

warrens7.jpg

Wow! That cabin is SWEET!:thumbup:

that's really nice! love the solar panel - and the homebrew! :thumbup:

is there indoor plumbing? if you don't have to run an electric line from the road or put in a septic tank, you can save a lot money setting a place up

Well originally it was kerosene lights and no running water.

However like I mentioned in another thread here he bought the gas well on the land, (which is owned collectively ) off of the gas company and so he now has gas lights, a gas hot water heater and a gas refrigerator.

The bathroom is still an outhouse, but he has running gravity fed water. The way it works is the old dug well, which you can see by the house has a DC pump which is buried beside it that can be switched on. Then it pumps water out of the old dug well up to a 500 gallon plastic tank buried in the hill above the house which gives him enough pressure for a shower and a kitchen sink:thumbup:

If I go over there sometime I'll do a pictorial of my friend Kate's place. She has a real neat rainwater collection system for running water. She's on the same land so she has access to the Natural gas. She even has a natural gas freezer:thumbup:

that's really nice! love the solar panel - and the homebrew! :thumbup:

is there indoor plumbing? if you don't have to run an electric line from the road or put in a septic tank, you can save a lot money setting a place up

That was a brewers gathering he had.

KENNEDY73, type in YURT in google and you may be pleased with what you find

yeah i like yurts a lot but they're pretty expensive compared to a cotton tent or cutting down your own trees to build a log cabin. a small yurt is at least five thousand and in some parts of the country that much money will go pretty far to buying a nice little patch of land. might go with a yurt in the end, you never know, but generally i'm looking for cheaper alternatives - maybe cob, strawbale or cordwood if i have the time to invest the sweat equity, otherwise probably just put up a cotton tent

Heck, there's always a tipi.

Anyone familiar with this book?

The Indian Tipi:Its History,Construction And Use - Second Edition, by the Laubins?

Good, bad, ugly?

Back