A Canuck in Search of Knowledge...

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and I am seriously interested in learning to forge blades. I'm fairly young, and I go to University, so my winters are usually taken up by school. I'm looking for someplace to learn the trade, but the places that I've found are some distance away from me, or do not offer courses when I can be available. I know of the ABS school in Texarkana, and Dean Peisner runs the Forge and Anvil metal studio in Ontario, but are there any other schools that might help?

Thanks in advance,
Dewey
------------------
War is ultimately the result of a total failure to communicate.

[This message has been edited by Dewey Smith (edited 04-09-2001).]

Dewey
Search out an experianced maker in your area. If you are willing to travel go to my web site and check out the Western Canadian Knifemakers Symposium. Its only a weekend but you will gain years of knowlege in just a few days with Some of Canadas best knifemakers. No knifemaking experiance is required just an open mind. This symposium covers all aspects of knifemaking. Not just forging or stock removal methods.

------------------
Robert
Flat Land Knife Works
rdblad@telusplanet.net
http://members.tripod.com/knifeworks/index.html

[This message has been edited by R Dockrell (edited 04-10-2001).]

Hey Dewey...

Welcome to the forums...

One thing that I have found is that there are Whacks of knifemakers that No one even knows about..

Closet knifemakers more or less...
Start talking to people and they'll come out of the woodwork...

Seek out possible blacksmiths in the area. Usually these guys may know whos heating and beating steel...They may be selling supplies to them...

Look around,,they are Everywhere..

Good luck..

ttyl Eh!

Eric...

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

[This message has been edited by Normark (edited 04-10-2001).]

I think Ed Storch runs symposia near you. Check out the CKG site. He'll have better answers for you I'm sure.

I've known about the CKG for a while, but there are no registered smiths in Manitoba. The only lead that I have may be at the heritage site, Lower Fort Gary, here in Manitoba. They actually train you in the basics of blacksmithing, but that's only if you work there for the summer, and I have too many things on the go this summer to be able to do that.
Anybody know a smith in Manitoba?

[This message has been edited by Dewey Smith (edited 04-11-2001).]

Back