A Chopper For Every Day of the Week! Work in Progress

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
That's right, 7 choppers!

This is going to be epic! These range from .250" to .360" thick, I'm going to use a lot of belts... after making these my KMG grinder is going to be scared when I enter the shop! :eek:

Here's How it all starts. Lots of 5160 steel!

039-3.jpg

Then I bust out the chop saw. It is important that I use these "Disco Abrasivo" blades to make the knives. :cool:

036-1.jpg

Cutting the stock so I have a little less grinding to profile to do later

026-7.jpg

Here they are, vaguely resembling knives at this point. Some are semi profiled and some are still blocky from my saw work.

047-4.jpg

More later, thanks for watching! Comments are always appreciated.

Commence zombie apocolypse. Arm the troops!

Do I hear a zombie movie spoof short film coming up?! Looks like your getting ready for one!

Will be following along.

-X

Ok,the third from the bottom....
Grind an edge on it,give it your new style cord wrap & call it done.(ok,round the edges on the handle a bit too.)
I love that blade profile in a chopper.

oh no.... Are all of these for orders Daniel? And how long do I have to save some money?! :)

Awesome!!!!!! I know my Sioux Warrior Survival Knife is coming from this batch. I can not even come close to telling you how pumped I am about it!!!!

Commence zombie apocolypse. Arm the troops!

Do I hear a zombie movie spoof short film coming up?! Looks like your getting ready for one!

Will be following along.

-X

Now that sounds like a good idea!

True story.... When I was in the Dominican Republic I bought a string of Jumbi Beans from a Hatian guy, the beans are half bright red and half black. They may be the most obviously poisonous thing I have ever seen. If you eat one you will actually turn into a zombie for a few days if they don't kill you. You hear about Zombies and Voodoo, well it is really true.

Ok,the third from the bottom....
Grind an edge on it,give it your new style cord wrap & call it done.(ok,round the edges on the handle a bit too.)
I love that blade profile in a chopper.

I'm liking that idea! I already profiled it but I really like that, the straight lines would really look nice. I like cord wraps on choppers too, they are so grippy and have a bit of give.

oh no.... Are all of these for orders Daniel? And how long do I have to save some money?! :)

Four are for orders and 3 will be available. The two on the bottom and the top one will be for sale, I'll get some profile photos, they look way different now. Pointy!

The top one is just outta control and makes the rest look small, the smallest one is just over a foot long. That big one is about the size of a Cricket Bat! You may able to use the knife itself for shelter after a hike.

Awesome!!!!!! I know my Sioux Warrior Survival Knife is coming from this batch. I can not even come close to telling you how pumped I am about it!!!!

You know it! It is huge too! It's the third one down and looking really nice now... ignore the profile it is practically still a bar in the pic.

I was thinking it doesn't look as big as it is because the next two are almost in the sword category. It's big!

I'm really excited about this batch! There is something like 20-25 pounds of steel going into this, my grinder bucket is already 1/4 full!!! There is something I like about that. My dip bucket water was probably 100 degrees when I quit grinding at 9 last night. :D

I'm thinking I will use this new 3 color canvas micarta on the biggest one. Black, Green and Tan Canvas layered! :eek: Canvas MCAM.

On the other two I'm not sure yet, I have some cool blackish grey neoprene I may try. It's like stall mat but more solid, it would be excellent on a chopper.

I also have some green canvas micarta with orange G10 liners I glued up, it seems like the good stuff for camping or outdoor activities. It is subdued but the orange liner makes it easy to spot if you drop it. I find myself grabbing a knife with an orange lanyard a lot here because I spot it so easily.

Daniel this is turning into an exciting thread!!!!!I can comment on here with out my wife getting mad at me because all I talk about is guns,knives and hunting.

Daniel this is turning into an exciting thread!!!!!I can comment on here with out my wife getting mad at me because all I talk about is guns,knives and hunting.

:D Comments are most welcome!

disco ?
i thought you were a rock guy ?

Disco Abrasivo cuts through any metal, but man... talk about annoying. :D

Check this!

001-14.jpg

I'm in the middle of heat treat at the moment, 4 are hardened and three are in the oven!

Alright all 7 are quenched and straight! I'm going to let the kiln cool down and put them in for the first temper cycle.

that one is interesting, cleaver like with skull crusher :D ... these are all 5160, yes???

Back