A Christmas Wish

i want to wish all my forum friends--and the ones i don't know-- the happiest holiday and the best christmas ever--you're all the best.
i have been involved in bladeforums for a few years and it has brought me great joy--thank you one and all :eek: :) :eek:

I would like to add my greetings to Yterps. I have made some great friends here, all of you here have been great to me, and I want to wish everyone the Happiest of Holidays and the Greatest New Year posible

Right back at ya, yiterp. Happy Holidays and a Blessed New Year to everyone!

AJ

Awww, group hug, c'mon guys, just one verse of Jingle Bells :D

Merry X-mas to all and to all a good Knife.

MerryChristmas! everybody! And a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! and dont forget to STAY SAFE AND GET HOME SAFE!!

I hope all of you get what you're looking for and not what you deserve next year. ;)

Seriously though guys, it's been a great year for me here on BF and it's been a pleasure to talk to so many great people. I hope I see all of you back here safe and sound next year.

Have a good one! :)

Merry Christmas to my Christian friends.

I came across this story on Wikipedia's home page today:

The so-called "Christmas truce" began on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1914, during World War I, when German troops began decorating the area around their trenches in the region of Ypres, Belgium for Christmas. They began by placing candles on trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British troops in the trenches across from them responded by singing English carols.

The two sides continued by shouting holiday greetings to each other. Soon, there were calls for visits across the "No Man's Land", where small gifts were exchanged — whiskey, cigars, and the like. The artillery in the region fell silent that night. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently fallen soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Proper burials took place as soldiers from both sides mourned the dead together and paid their respect. At one funeral in No Man's Land, soldiers from both sides gathered and read a passage from the 23rd Psalm:

"The lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures. He leaveth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his namesake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil."
The truce spread to other areas of the lines, and there is a perhaps apocryphal story of a football match between the opposing forces, which ended when the ball struck a strand of barbed wire and deflated.

In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but in some areas, it continued until New Year's Day.

British commanders Sir John French and Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien vowed that no such truce would be allowed again. In all of the following years of the war, artillery bombardments were ordered on Christmas Eve to ensure that there were no further lulls in the combat. Troops were also rotated through various sectors of the front to prevent the troops from becoming overly familiar with the enemy troops. Despite those measurements there were a few friendly encounters between enemy soldiers, but on a much smaller scale than the previous year.

During Easter 1916 a similar truce existed on the Eastern Front.

In 1999, the so-called "Khaki Chums" (officially: The Association for Military Remembrance) visited a region of Flanders and recreated the Christmas truce. They lived as the World War I British soldiers had lived, with no modern conveniences.

The Christmas Truce has often been characterized as the last "twitch" of the 19th century: it was the last moment when in war, two sides would meet each other in proper and mutual respect for one another; when they would greet each other with kindness to show that - in spite of the horrible turn of events that had unfolded - they were still honorable and respectful soldiers of war.
Those were the days, my friend,
we thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance for ever and a day.
We'd live the live we choose,
We'd fight and never lose,
for we were young and sure to have our way.

Ya'll some great folks,IMHO. Wish all of you a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! I hope The Good Lord bestows blessings on you all till you just can't stand it any more!! Happy Ho Ho, Marty. :D :D

I too would like to wish everybody happy holidays, no matter where you live, who you believe in or who you voted for, may the future be paceful and joyful !!!

OT: do kids in the US go nuts with the firecrackers and other pyrotechnics on Christmas Eve as well ? I live in close proximity to twochurches so there was no sleep for me anyway but the firecrackers ... IIRC they didn't do it in the past, is this some kind of a fad ?

merry christmas everyone!

hope that we spare a thought for the underprivileged and the less fortunate in the midst of the celebrations...

Back