A complicated guard for a fulltang dagger

Hi everybody,

I have a fulltang custom made M390 dagger which I love but from the start I would have really wanted to have a guard on it. Do you have any ideas if it would be possible or how to add any kind of guard on this knife? How can I attach the guard? Welding would most likely ruin the temper. I'm attaching a few pictures. Thank you all for your help!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jii26F865CSp8nq9A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LC5oTEyr14AwukQx7

Aww, c'mon, Stacy (did I just sound like Mr. Natlek??? apologies ;) ), anything's possible, no?
Just probably cheaper and easier to have the maker make another one with a guard this time. :cool:;)

:( damn. Thanks for the answers. I has hoping there are some solutions. And what if I glue the guard to the ricasso with epoxy? It's far from ideal but considering it's a dagger and I don't baton or hit with it can't this be an option?

Photos are gone now? Put them back up or post an actual photo and I'll show you what I am saying below.

If you wanted something ugly (IMHO), you could take off all that wrapping and stuff and make a two-piece guard from micarta and sandwich the ricasso in it. Some rivets and epoxy would hold it in place. A guard shaped something like the one below should work.

dagger_PNG76.png

Photos are gone now? Put them back up or post an actual photo and I'll show you what I am saying below.

If you wanted something ugly (IMHO), you could take off all that wrapping and stuff and make a two-piece guard from micarta and sandwich the ricasso in it. Some rivets and epoxy would hold it in place. A guard shaped something like the one below should work.

View attachment 2550801
I solved the photo error. Yes, that would work. It would still probably look better than the leather wrapping. And to make sure that it's secure do I need to drill some small holes in the (probably as much to the sides as possible in the ricasso area) to connect some pins or rivets?

Looking at that knife and what you want it reminds me of something learned by being a craftsman for over 30 years... leave it be, if you attempt to put on a guard it will probably just ruin the knife in the attempt.

Better to leave it alone and have another made the way you want.

I tried to tell him that, Adam, but he doesn't want to hear it. I agree tat te knife will be riuned and ugly if he does it.

Stormy,
The micarta guard would not need to be drilled through the blade unless you want to. That would require carbide bits. If shaped to fit over the exposed areas of the knife when the current "guard" is removed it should be fine. Again, I do not recommend doing this.

I don't know how much you have invested in that - which only matters because it would impact your willingness to risk some modifications - but what about shortening & reshaping the tang, and moving the grip forward? A small guard could be incorporated into the new handle. You'd probably have to lose the exposed tang to create anything comfortable and decent looking, though...and you might hate the end result.

Back