"a few more sticks and bows"

Here's a few of my non-khuk goods lying around the house. Thought you all might enjoy a look.

attachment.php

Top to bottom: Suburi-to (heavy training sword); wooden bokken; and of course, the unmistakeable HI Tarwar. I didn't have it at the time, but I could now add to the picture one of Bura's Udda swords.

attachment.php

My bows. Left is a 60" 50# Grizzly Bear bow. Unique feature is that the shelf accomodates right or left hand shooting. On the right is a 60" 35# Saxon recurve. I had this one made to suit as an all day target bow, hence the relatively low draw weight.

attachment.php

Simple case I made to transport everything safely. Made it out of pine to keep it cheap, but it works great carrying two bows plus accessories and I can throw it in the back of my truck without any worries.

attachment.php

Close up of the Saxon. Woods are ebony, purple heart, yew, and, well, bamboo...

attachment.php

Just to give an idea of the inside. I don't consider the box finished, and it probably won't ever be, but it works great. Obviously it can't carry all of this at once, but it looked good for the picture ....

Let me know if something doesn't show up. Hope you enjoy!

~ Bamboo ~

(title courtesy of munk. thanks munk)

Attachments

• saxonhawk.JPG
    saxonhawk.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 129
  • bokken.JPG
    bokken.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 131
  • saxon2.JPG
    saxon2.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 127
  • bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 128
  • bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 129
Beautiful bows. That's a really super case that you made. And that Tarwar looks great!

Steve

Those Saxon bows are sweet looking !

My first , least expensive and best shooting bow was ambidextrous . This bow could trim the wings off a skeeter . I think I,m going to go shoot some arrows .

Really, really, excellent case Bamboo!!!!:thumbup:
Let alone everything that will fit in it of course.;) :D I have several Red Cedar boxes similar, just not as large.

Interesting shape to the unstrung Grizzly bow. I wasn't aware that any were made like that as I was out of the archery scene for many, many, years and still am as far as that goes, about knowing what's available today.
My interest always lay with hand made self bows and mild recurves. The Grizzly is reminiscent of some of the old sinew backed ndn bows to a mild point. Some of the old ndn sinew backed bows were so reflexed as to appear as a semi-circle in reverse so to speak. There were several old ndn bows that were ruined because of inexperienced people stringing them opposite of the way they were intended.:(

Love that Saxon! I've also always loved the look of the Chek-Mate Longhorn. Cool case to boot:)

Had a saxon for about a year. The craftsmanship was excellent, but the geometry of the bow did not lend itself for use by tall men. Past 31 " draw, that bow stacked terribly. I have recurve bows by Jim Brackenbury (prior to his death), another bowmaker who asked that I not tell folks how far I'm really pulling his bow, and an Olympic style bow by Hoyt. All are routinely used at 34 1/2 draw. I use 2419 and or 2514 Easton shafts cut to about 35" for a skosh of overhang. The point is as YVSA says: the recurves on all three are very gentle, reducing stress on the bow. Pretty is as pretty does.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Yeah, both bows are quite special. In honesty, the Bear doesn't get strung all that often. It has a bit of a delicate feel to it these days, and I'd like to keep it around to pass down to future generations. But of course, a bow wants to be shot every now and then...

Jurassicnarc, I know what you mean about this bow stacking. I am not tall - 5'9", and pull to around 30", so it isn't a problem for me. A good friend of mine is 6' and pulls to 32" and said he could feel the difference though.

That archery case actually helped me get accepted into furniture school. Turned out the Director of Admissions was also an avid archery fan, so we had a good long talk about that before anything else.... not a bad way to start an interview.

~ Bamboo

jurassicnarc44 said:
Past 31 " draw, that bow stacked terribly. I have recurve bows by Jim Brackenbury (prior to his death), another bowmaker who asked that I not tell folks how far I'm really pulling his bow, and an Olympic style bow by Hoyt.

All are routinely used at 34 1/2 draw.

"34-1/2" draw!!!!:eek: " Dayum Mac!!!! You definitely need a good English Longbow!!!!;) Do your knuckles drag the ground when you walk or are you tall enough to prevent that?;) :D ;)

Drawing that much length; how much poundage are you drawing?
I may be all wet but I'd think a longer bow with the same poundage would at least help to prevent stacking at that much draw length, wouldn't it?:confused:

Back