A few of my first kydex

Dabling

Gold Member
What do you think? Of course my picture skills are to be desired.

001.jpg

005.jpg

Thanks for looking!

They look pretty good. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, I find it easier to re-sheath the knife (while you're wearing it) if you run the back piece up a bit higher than the front. Then you have a surface to glide the tip along to get it into the sheath.

Also, when you are folding over a single sheet of Kydex for the sheath, it may not be necessary to add a drain hole. You usually end up with a bit of a tunnel were the fold is, so water can just run through it. Otherwise, a drain hole on the back side would be more aesthetically pleasing (although it may dump water on your clothes).

They look pretty good. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, I find it easier to re-sheath the knife (while you're wearing it) if you run the back piece up a bit higher than the front. Then you have a surface to glide the tip along to get it into the sheath.

Also, when you are folding over a single sheet of Kydex for the sheath, it may not be necessary to add a drain hole. You usually end up with a bit of a tunnel were the fold is, so water can just run through it. Otherwise, a drain hole on the back side would be more aesthetically pleasing (although it may dump water on your clothes).

Thanks Chris, I like the idea of leaving one side a bit longer, but it sort of precludes the sheath's ambidextrous use.

I have noticed the drain hole forming on fold overs, but I must have over heated this bunch as they were tight, almost like they were glued up.

Thanks again for taking a look and giving your two cents.

Great start, looking good. They do look like they might have gotten a bit too warm.

Are you using a press or molding by hand?

These are by a press, a knifekits one. I have to say that I think their foam is a bit soft, the sheaths don't take on as much of the personna of the knife as I would like. It is probably what has encouraged me to over heat it, or shear stupidity or both.

Anyone know of a slightly more dense foam?

The press I use is made of plywood and a blue sleeping pad that I got from Wallmart. I doubled up the pad and spray glued it to the plywood. For smaller projects I clamp the two halves together, for larger stuff I use my larger press and stand on it or jack it up against the tow bar on my truck.

Otherwise, a drain hole on the back side would be more aesthetically pleasing (although it may dump water on your clothes).
Or maybe even drill up the end if the fold closes completely to re-open it? That would probably look pretty good, too...

Eric

Or, how about taping a 1/8" dowel to the spine before you fold the kydex over it and have the drain formed right into the sheath?

Or, how about taping a 1/8" dowel to the spine before you fold the kydex over it and have the drain formed right into the sheath?

Pretty much the same thought I had today, but with a piece of 1/8 brass.

Back