A fine Sunday afternoon

Hi,

Had a great afternoon pheasant hunting today. My friend and I took our limit of two each. The dogs were a true joy to watch work. Some very excellent trailing and awesome flushes.

We also pushed a couple of nice does and watched about 30 Woodies and Mallards jump of my pond.

A quick photo of one of the birds and a Rough Rider San Mai small lock-back. A great little folder. It's dressed a dozen ducks and 10 roosters now.

102_7930.jpg

dalee

dalee100 do you wrap your pheasants in bacon before baking? one lady told me she split a chicken & placed it atop the bird & baked it together. noy many around here but the tex. panhandle does alright.
dennis

Dennis, we used to kill a few pheasants at my Grandpa's place in central Illinois.

They always boiled them first to soften 'em up, then fried them like chicken. Not bad that way.

dalee100 do you wrap your pheasants in bacon before baking? one lady told me she split a chicken & placed it atop the bird & baked it together. noy many around here but the tex. panhandle does alright.
dennis

Hi,

I've done it that way. Like most wild game, it's very lean, so keeping the meat moist while cooking is a must. Besides, who doesn't like anything wrapped in bacon?:)

Now I mostly brine the breasts and then cook them on the grill. I like to use the legs and thighs for pot pies. I stew those parts with onions, celery, carrots and other herbs and then shred the meat off to add to the pie. Makes those tougher parts far more tender and tasty.

dalee

Back