A Full House (Aces and Kings) a Quintet of Old English Barlows.

Johnnythefox

Gold Member
I sat in the very occasional Sun (wind blowing) in my garden today and gave a further clean and tune up of my 2 latest Barlows.

No radio, no distractions just me and my thoughts,as I am empty headed it was very peaceful. 😁

A steel brush seens to work best along with a little careful use of emery paper.

My aim was a smooth mechanism and to be able to read the tangs and improve the appearance but keep the patina.

Then I polish the steel and flush with my garden hose,finally drying with a cloth (plus the sun and wind).

I am not good at sharpening, but these 2 where easy and took no time,yes I know some people could do better.😅

I even managed to profile the tip of the CJ blade to look as it should,It is a litle pround but not enough to cut you or worry about.

These little double sided stones are brilliant, they even put a strop on the case of the latest batch.

I see these as working knives to do small cutting tasks and as such these 2 though not perfect are well up to the job.

I say not perfect, but to me that makes them perfect as I like old and used that I can carry on using.

It is also interesting to see how a design that on paper is the same has so many variants.

I think I prefer the rounded bolsters, but there is bits of both I like a lot.

Check the last photos of the CJ to see how the tip looks now.

Any hints or tips are most welcome.

Nice job 👍
I recently cleaned up this Imperial Barlow out of my grandfather's shop. I did a thorough cleaning with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush to get out all the decades old dirt & grime. Then I took some fine steel wool & oil to brush the metal parts (bolster included) It got the metal smoothed down & kept the patina on the steel without removing it. I did wind up taking some old hotrod chrome & metal polish to the bolsters to shine them up. The final thing was just oiling the joints & putting in some elbow grease opening & closing it repetitively. It's pretty darn smooth now & takes a hair whittling edge.
A side note: Those little cans of compressed air for computer keyboards work great for blowing out water, excess oil, lint, ect. 😉

view

Nice job 👍
I recently cleaned up this Imperial Barlow out of my grandfather's shop. I did a thorough cleaning with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush to get out all the decades old dirt & grime. Then I took some fine steel wool & oil to brush the metal parts (bolster included) It got the metal smoothed down & kept the patina on the steel without removing it. I did wind up taking some old hotrod chrome & metal polish to the bolsters to shine them up. The final thing was just oiling the joints & putting in some elbow grease opening & closing it repetitively. It's pretty darn smooth now & takes a hair whittling edge.
A side note: Those little cans of compressed air for computer keyboards work great for blowing out water, excess oil, lint, ect. 😉

view

Great job, I forgot I had bought a can of air after Jack Black had mentioned it ive never used it.😁

Back