"A Native Way of Living"

interesting....I bookmarked it for later. I never thought MTV could produce anything worth watching.

andrew, most of the rest of the series is about crackheads and alcoholics and pregnant teenagers and the like... the whole series is "true life"...but these episodes are pretty good so far.

This is pretty cool. I thought the same as andrew, mtv has fallen so far from the fun video channel it used to be.

if you get the time read some of the posts about the video. I was screaming at the silly vegan peoples' comments.

i couldnt watch the video. my comp is too slow. but i did catch the vegan's comments at the bottom of the page. what is she thinking? i wonder what she would do if a grizzly ran up on her camp? smile and offer it some soy and tofu?

I enjoyed it, but think that the instructors left out some very important parts of the native life. Still, they are learning the physical skills and are living the primitive life, kind of and eventually, they would have formed their own traditions and spiritual values. It's the human thing to do.

I enjoyed it, but think that the instructors left out some very important parts of the native life.

I got the same impression from the videos I watched, but I can tell you from hearing from others who have gone to the Teaching Drum and reading Tamarack Song's writings this couldn't be farther from the truth.

If fact they say the hardest part of going "native" isn't the physical skills, its the social aspect. Journey to the Ancestral Self is a great book should anyone want to look into native living. It should be noted there is nothing about physical survival skills in this book...

http://teachingdrum.org/writingsoftamaracksong.html?page=jas#nav

I'll pick it up and give it a read.

I was surprised that they washed in the water and that they didn't utilize the Inipi (sweat lodge), or maybe they do later. A good sweat and dunk in the river/lake and man, what a life! When all the elements come together, you just can't help but find a spiritual self within.

Looks like an interesting school but I could do without the neo-spiritualism. The teacher scolding him because he ate a big clam was pretty ridiculous.

Looks like an interesting school but I could do without the neo-spiritualism. The teacher scolding him because he ate a big clam was pretty ridiculous.

I agree and it seems sort of counter to what I know of conservation. Shouldn't you eat the ones who have lived a full life and not eat a bunch of the little ones who haven't had a chance to reproduce?

I agree and it seems sort of counter to what I know of conservation. Shouldn't you eat the ones who have lived a full life and not eat a bunch of the little ones who haven't had a chance to reproduce?

That, and the fact that you have to kill fewer to eat as much. But you need to eat whatever you can, whenever you can. In a hunter-gatherer society you are pretty much constantly eating or looking for something to eat. Calories don't come as easy out in the bush, you have to take advantage of what you find. A few of the guys at that school look like they'd blow away in a light breeze. Watch some of the documentaries Ray Mears has done about hunter-gatherer people. They don't look like they're starving for a reason.

I respect what they are trying to teach at this school but they are coming to it from the wrong perspective. But I could also be full of crap. Just my opinion.

And I've never thought of taking a dump as a spiritual experience. Except that one time I went a little overboard with the habanero peppers in the salsa I made. 'Moderation' is the word there, friends.

Cool show, very interesting. The instructors seem to know what they are on about, but I agree a lot of the spiritual hippy stuff was over the top.

It says I can't watch it because I live in canada........ ball-suckers.

Back