How To A Question About Deploying a Spyderco's Blade

One things for sure: I'm stubborn, and I'll figure a way out to make things work...
Thanks, Guys!

It’s not always possible, but if you could find a retailer that carries Spyderco you could handle some different locks and see what works. The “not possible” version of that is buying and selling on the Exchange here. :)

Another thought…my local hardware store at least carries some other brands. You could try liner locks and back locks (maybe axis locks) that way.

There are also flippers, front flippers and autos if things are really bad. Sometimes I also feel some mild arthritis and that is the reason I keep a Protech - JIC - for future use.

I keep a whole bunch of autos ready for when my Missus has to start opening my ketchup bottles for me.
But in the meantime...
I've got flipper tabs and thumbstuds that I'm working on now. When the Spydie-holes arrive: they'll be added to the lesson plan.

Assuming I can grab the blade: can it be deployed in that manner?
A Spyderco will be as easy to open as any other knife, probably easier than most. I can't help you with the closing part. I suggest you find a store that has different models in stock that you can try in person.

I'm quite intrigued about the design of Spyderco's offerings; but I have a question before I get serious about shopping:
If you can't flick them open with a finger or thumb: how easy can they be deployed?
I've got a World Class case of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Do you just grab the blade by the hole in it, and yank it out?
If so: how much tension holds it in place?
Thanks!

Hey Bob. I've got carpal tunnel and other issues with my hands. Based on the super fun electrical conductance tests my doctor gave me, my carpal tunnel syndrome is "moderate". (An example includes losing the feeling in my hand from holding a standard coffee mug by the handle.) I can only imagine what you go through.

All of the Spyderco models I've handled can be "slow rolled". The issue there is that as my thumb travels that path the long way around, part of the range of motion is very irritating to me. So I prefer the models that can be flicked without wrist action. It's a little different than thumb studs but with the right models, it's okay.

Some of the back locks can be tough to flick. Personally, the Rockjumper and the Dragonfly are among the easier back-lock models to flick. It just took some good lube and a little practice. Now I can do it with no wrist action, only my thumb, and generally within a comfortable range of motion. Both have a safe spot for closing at the base of the blade too. (It's obvious on the choil for the Dragonfly but the Rockjumper has a genious flat spot that emerges upon closing.) This lets me thumb the back lock, throw from the elbow, stop the blade on my finger, and then reposition my hand to complete one-handed closing.

"Slow rolled": I guess that would be how I'm going to have to roll with them...
There's no flicking anything open quickly with a thumbstud: I just didn't know what to call what I was doing with them.
Thanks for the re-assurement!

I had to give up on Spydie holes too because of loss of nimbleness in my fingers. I now carry and happily use a SPYDERCO AUTONOMY 2. It's an auto - so not legal in many states but OK where I am as an EDC.

Not legal here either... but I might have a couple of them ready for the day...
My issues are the result of sever diabetic peripheral neuropathy coupled with a really bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome.
No grasping ability, and no sensation.

UPDATE: The little guy showed up this morning, and I'm figuring things out.
Slow rolling seems to work okay.
Thanks for all the good advice!

UPDATE: The Para 3 has landed, and that one actually fits just right. It's pretty darn snappy!

The Emerson wave versions (Endela, Matriarch, etc.) are super duper easy to deploy just pulling them out of your pocket.

I've got a "Horn-Billed Dragonfly... I agree!

Attachments

• 11-30-2021 02.jpg
    11-30-2021 02.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1
Since this thread has been resurrected. Here's another thought.

You can just attach a ziptie to the Spydiehole. Cut off the loose end and you have a makeshift wave attachment that will allow you deploy the knife upon removal from your pocket w/o any need to use the Spydiehole or any other method of opening. It's also very easy to remove.

aiZwaWQ9QXBp

There are fancier, mfg'd versions of a wave attachment that you can buy for around $40 or more but why bother when a ziptie would do?

Last edited:
I bought a knife off here a while back with that on it, I remembered reading about it on here, so I tried it. For me it worked well in some pockets but not so well in others, not a big problem for some but a deal breaker for a self defense knife for me. Moot point for me anyway as 95% of my SD Knives are either waved or ring.

There is some friction inherent in the lockback design, a Spyderco lockback will have about the same resistance to opening the blade as some other lockback knives, maybe a little bit less than average. If you can open a traditional knife with the "nail nick" in the side of the blade, then a Spyderco will be much easier to open because there is more spine to the blade for you to grab. A Spyderco with liner lock or compression lock, even the BB lock, will have much less friction so with the liner lock and compression lock they add a little detent in the mechanism that holds the blade closed. You have to pull enough to overcome the detent before the blade will open, but this is a very small force and grabbing the spine of the blade with one hand and pulling this will be very easy. The detent is important to the functional safety of the knife so it doesn't accidentally open in your pocket.

The "flick" that you mentioned is generally a very fast motion. to open the knife almost like an automatic or assisted blade. I didn't catch on with the finger flick but I can do it with my thumb if I want, most of the time I just open the blade slowly or at normal speed with my thumb FWIW.

The spyderco smock would be perfect. It’s technically a compression lock but it’s got a button to push instead of having to pinch it. Just push the button and flick your wrist and it will swing out. Super fun actually

Back