A quick, low effort review of Cold Steel knives I use in the kitchen

jux t

Gold Member
Decided to do an VERY informal write up of my thoughts towards 4 Cold Steel knives I use in the kitchen. I’m doing this to unwind from a day of intense studying to diverge my mind into something else.

While I have a handful of nicer kitchen knives, these get used often because proper kitchen knife care takes a back seat to school/children.

These knives get used by me and my wife, and are tossed in the sink/dishwasher. I touch them up as needed, emphasis on needed.

Top to bottom:
Slock Master
Roach Belly
Pendleton Lite Hunter
Kitchen Classics Paring Knife
01BA621E-7FD4-47C1-95DF-6F0BFBAC5F87.jpeg

-Slock Master: 4116 stainless. Comfy handle, somewhat squishy. Zero deterioration from dishwashing. The most stain free of the bunch, not sure why. Also holds an edge the best of the 4. I really have no complaints, it competes as an equal to my Victorinox Fibrox chef knife. Love it.

-Roach Belly: 4116. A kitchen knife should not be called roach anything, and I should probably apologize to my mother in law for gifting her one years ago. Anyway, the blade shape is awesome. The handle is decent. If it stayed as sharp and stain free as the Slock Master, it would be a home run. But it doesn’t. I’ve had 3 of these, and retired the first two after they developed creeping rust stemming from the handle forward. I do wash these all in a dishwasher, and I know it’s a lot to ask of a knife. But these get rust spots that just aren’t worth caring for (to me). I say that mostly because they also don’t hold an edge worth a darn. Maybe it’s the edge geometry, but they are hollow ground and I think they are just too soft. The first two are now on tool bag/shed duty.

-Pendleton Lite Hunter: 4116. Thought I would like this knife. I don’t. Handle comfort is just ok for kitchen tasks. The blade is miserable at holding an edge. It’s too thick for kitchen duty, even behind the edge despite the hollow grind, and as soft as the Roach Belly. Corrodes just as bad as the Roach Belly. Not sure why I haven’t tossed it yet.

-Kitchen Classic Paring Knife: 4116. Same somewhat squishy handle as the Slock Master. This is actually a well performing knife. Cuts well, holds its edge well, slices right through an avocado and into your hand quicker than you can say “told ya so” to your wife who did just that. I’ve had two of these, and the only drawback is eventually rust spread from the handle on the 1st one. I suspect the blade finish plays a part, as it’s not as nearly as polished as the Slock Master. Though the one i currently use hasn’t had that issue yet (2 years so far).

And that’s that. 2 out of the 4 were great buys, I especially like the Slock Master, even prefer it to its’ Victorinox competitor. The Roach Belly would make a decent self defense knife, and provided you had time to oil it, sharpen it, and defend yourself in court, could be used again. The Pendleton Lite Hunter shouldn’t exist. And the Kitchen Classics Paring Knife is good if you want Victorinox cutting performance but with a more comfortable handle.

Last edited:
Interesting, and informative, This got me thinking about kitchen knives. For the kitchen I use an ulu sometimes. I put it in a dishwasher and it started rusting from that day forward. I don't want to put blame on anything but I think the dishwasher did it. It's not very expensive but I like it and it's made in New York. But I knew it was a mistake putting it in a damn dishwasher. I don't know what kind of steel it is. Mystery metal. It's a LansonSharp Pro?, on the handle it also says stainless USA. I didn't think it would oxidize being that it was designed for kitchen use but obviously it did, sandpapered it off and cleaned it up.

What's your opinion on Old hickory knives? I was thinking of buying my wife a new set of kitchen knives and was wondering if they are any good? I've heard good things about them. But I've never actually seen or held one. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've also been looking at cutco a friend of mine has a set in his kitchen and they work very good.
Thanks in advance

Interesting, and informative, This got me thinking about kitchen knives. For the kitchen I use an ulu sometimes. I put it in a dishwasher and it started rusting from that day forward. I don't want to put blame on anything but I think the dishwasher did it. It's not very expensive but I like it and it's made in New York. But I knew it was a mistake putting it in a damn dishwasher. I don't know what kind of steel it is. Mystery metal. It's a LansonSharp Pro?, on the handle it also says stainless USA. I didn't think it would oxidize being that it was designed for kitchen use but obviously it did, sandpapered it off and cleaned it up.

What's your opinion on Old hickory knives? I was thinking of buying my wife a new set of kitchen knives and was wondering if they are any good? I've heard good things about them. But I've never actually seen or held one. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've also been looking at cutco a friend of mine has a set in his kitchen and they work very good.
Thanks in advance
I have no experience with Old Hickory.

I haven't done much research but I think they're made by Ontario? I've got some reading to do. Thanks jux edit I just found a set of but they're 1095 carbon steel. That's going to be hard to keep from rusting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-122000.png
    Screenshot_20231008-122000.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Old Hickory Knives are made from 1095 IIRC.

They are old-fashioned kitchen knives and some such as the butcher's knives even look like hunting knives, which is no accident because at one point there was no distinction between hunting knives and butcher's knives. Jim Bowie's knife was described as "a large butcher's knife."

This style was common in the field and kitchen in the 1800s.

CS even made a couple models in the 1990s.

Some people into survival and old-fashioned gear buy OH knives and make leather sheaths for them.

The biggest problem with them is that they are made by Ontario, and earlier this year Ontario went out of business so most of their knives shot up in price if they are available.

They were always on my list of knives to buy from a company I did not expect to close. I bought a kukri this year and then went to buy the SP Raider Bowie and it doubled in price, and then I heard of the company closing.

I was able to find one at a reasonable price and also buy another kukri.

OH knives might stay at normal prices for longer since people usually don't collect kitchen knives, but if someone wants one they should buy it ASAP.

For Cold Steel content, I've used my Carbon V Recon Tanto extensively in the kitchen. I often use the secondary point when cutting strips of meat.

At one of my brother's parties my sister in law and her friends were having a hard time cutting the food to cook so I went to my car got my Recon Tanto for them to use and they were impressed by how well it cut compared to the knives they were using.

My Mother had Old Hickory. They were the main kitchen knives. Nothing more then clean it off after you use it. Put it back in the drawer. Never remember mom having a rusty knife. I was too young to remember her getting them new. But the blades were a deep dark brown.

Staying over night at a friends. His mom had them too.

You could find them just about anywhere. They were a common, standard, kitchen knife. And nobody cared what steel it was. What anyone knew, they were good knives. The type of stuff you buy once and that's all you'll ever need.

I can remember utility knives sharpened to where more then half of the blade width was gone. Decades of sharpening.

I'm not surprised by your results. The Pendleton Hunter Lite is too thick to be a good kitchen knife. I bought it as a hunting knife. Cold Steel makes several good knives specifically for kitchen use. The butcher knife with a 10" blade is very good for using to cut large pieces, turkeys, or roasts.

Decided to do an VERY informal write up of my thoughts towards 4 Cold Steel knives I use in the kitchen. I’m doing this to unwind from a day of intense studying to diverge my mind into something else.

While I have a handful of nicer kitchen knives, these get used often because proper kitchen knife care takes a back seat to school/children.

These knives get used by me and my wife, and are tossed in the sink/dishwasher. I touch them up as needed, emphasis on needed.

Top to bottom:
Slock Master
Roach Belly
Pendleton Lite Hunter
Kitchen Classics Paring Knife
View attachment 2348350

-Slock Master: 4116 stainless. Comfy handle, somewhat squishy. Zero deterioration from dishwashing. The most stain free of the bunch, not sure why. Also holds an edge the best of the 4. I really have no complaints, it competes as an equal to my Victorinox Fibrox chef knife. Love it.

-Roach Belly: 4116. A kitchen knife should not be called roach anything, and I should probably apologize to my mother in law for gifting her one years ago. Anyway, the blade shape is awesome. The handle is decent. If it stayed as sharp and stain free as the Slock Master, it would be a home run. But it doesn’t. I’ve had 3 of these, and retired the first two after they developed creeping rust stemming from the handle forward. I do wash these all in a dishwasher, and I know it’s a lot to ask of a knife. But these get rust spots that just aren’t worth caring for (to me). I say that mostly because they also don’t hold an edge worth a darn. Maybe it’s the edge geometry, but they are hollow ground and I think they are just too soft. The first two are now on tool bag/shed duty.

-Pendleton Lite Hunter: 4116. Thought I would like this knife. I don’t. Handle comfort is just ok for kitchen tasks. The blade is miserable at holding an edge. It’s too thick for kitchen duty, even behind the edge despite the hollow grind, and as soft as the Roach Belly. Corrodes just as bad as the Roach Belly. Not sure why I haven’t tossed it yet.

-Kitchen Classic Paring Knife: 4116. Same somewhat squishy handle as the Slock Master. This is actually a well performing knife. Cuts well, holds its edge well, slices right through an avocado and into your hand quicker than you can say “told ya so” to your wife who did just that. I’ve had two of these, and the only drawback is eventually rust spread from the handle on the 1st one. I suspect the blade finish plays a part, as it’s not as nearly as polished as the Slock Master. Though the one i currently use hasn’t had that issue yet (2 years so far).

And that’s that. 2 out of the 4 were great buys, I especially like the Slock Master, even prefer it to its’ Victorinox competitor. The Roach Belly would make a decent self defense knife, and provided you had time to oil it, sharpen it, and defend yourself in court, could be used again. The Pendleton Lite Hunter shouldn’t exist. And the Kitchen Classics Paring Knife is good if you want Victorinox cutting performance but with a more comfortable handle.
I agree with 1911 above. The knives that performed well looks like they have better geometry.

I agree with 1911 above. The knives that performed well looks like they have better geometry.
Yeah, cutting performance differences weren’t surprising considering 2 are much thinner and are actual kitchen knives. I still get the impression that they are a little harder than the Roach Belly and Pendleton Lite Hunter. Those edges seem to lose their bite/deform when used against a cutting board quicker.

Corrosion resistance was also part of how I judged performance, and despite being made of the same steel, the 2 non kitchen knives developed black pitting and red rust.

Old Hickory Knives are made from 1095 IIRC.

They are old-fashioned kitchen knives and some such as the butcher's knives even look like hunting knives, which is no accident because at one point there was no distinction between hunting knives and butcher's knives. Jim Bowie's knife was described as "a large butcher's knife."

This style was common in the field and kitchen in the 1800s.

CS even made a couple models in the 1990s.

Some people into survival and old-fashioned gear buy OH knives and make leather sheaths for them.

The biggest problem with them is that they are made by Ontario, and earlier this year Ontario went out of business so most of their knives shot up in price if they are available.

They were always on my list of knives to buy from a company I did not expect to close. I bought a kukri this year and then went to buy the SP Raider Bowie and it doubled in price, and then I heard of the company closing.

I was able to find one at a reasonable price and also buy another kukri.

OH knives might stay at normal prices for longer since people usually don't collect kitchen knives, but if someone wants one they should buy it ASAP.

For Cold Steel content, I've used my Carbon V Recon Tanto extensively in the kitchen. I often use the secondary point when cutting strips of meat.

At one of my brother's parties my sister in law and her friends were having a hard time cutting the food to cook so I went to my car got my Recon Tanto for them to use and they were impressed by how well it cut compared to the knives they were using.
used to be...pretty sure before ontario got sold, and they started switching steels for all non military items......they switched them to 1075.....

used to be...pretty sure before ontario got sold, and they started switching steels for all non military items......they switched them to 1075.....
Who bought Ontario? Or are they out of business totally?

Who bought Ontario? Or are they out of business totally?
blue ridge knives the big Virginia based distributor. don't know what they bought though other than existing stock and names. not the factory or tooling. that's closed down and gone.

blue ridge knives the big Virginia based distributor. don't know what they bought though other than existing stock and names. not the factory or tooling. that's closed down and gone.
Another One bites the dust. Sad. Are they still going to make the military knives for the Marines and such?. Or is that gone as well?

Another One bites the dust. Sad. Are they still going to make the military knives for the Marines and such?. Or is that gone as well?
don't know. what I know I read about in the ontario forum. think some one had posted a link to an article.

My MIL had an Old Hickory that I sharpened a few times. It would go dull overnight. The steel seems tough but quite soft, probably in the low 50s HRC. They're about as basic as you can get.

I've used their steak knives for years for almost everything involving cooking. They say "400 series sub zero quenched" in laser engraving on the side, I think they might be 4116, not sure. And then I have a couple larger (VG1) blades for large stuff. The VG1 one I have used a lot has rusted easily. I typically run them all through the dishwasher. The steak knives do not really rust. I used to have a Roach Belly, but I think I gave it away, I wasn't really impressed with its cutting ability. I'm thinking of using some flitz or steel wool on the VG-1, but I'm not sure that's the best option. I have other old decent quality kitchen knives like Robinson, but these are the ones I mostly use. I have about 6 or so of the Cold Steel streak knives, so I typically get lazy and just use those. I've cut myself with them a few too many times over the years doing late night cooking that may or may not have involved too many barley sodas.. :/

Last edited:
Thanks JB I'm going to look around and see what I can find out I'm just interested thanks for the tip
I saw they've gotten a lot more expensive these days since I first bought them years ago, but I highly recommend these steak knives for general everyday stuff if they still make something similar, not even sure.

Last edited:
Back