A Radio Qestion

I have descided that I want to get a radio to have as an emergency standby and am trying to choose between the Freeplay Plus that I saw in the C.Crane catalog and a similar one (sorry, but I don't remember the model) from Radio Shack.

They both feature a hand-cranked generator to charge the batteries and seem like thery are a pretty good deal. The Radio Shack model is a few bucks cheaper, but I don't know what other differances there are between them.

I confess that I don't know a heck of a lot about these, other than what I've read in their ad's, so if anyone has bought one or can advise as to the fine points on one vs. the other, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!

The only fine point I can come up with is my personal, lifelong belief that if Radio Shack manufactures it, it must be cheap, foreign-made crap. :)

I've got the Freeplay Global Shortwave model and am very satisfied with it. Crank, Solar, DC 6V adapter, good shortwave, FM, and AM reception, and not made in the PRC.

I got a Freeplay as a gift from Big Lots - less than $25. AM / FM with solar charger. I cranks nicely and rattles and hums along when the volume is down, like when it's sitting on a shelf over the headboard of the bed. This may be a second or something, so I strongly suggest checking one out hands-on at the store and listening to the noise level at a low volume just so you won't be surprised.
These radios suffer a lot from underengineering, and are horribly inefficient from a packaging standpoint. A reputable manufacturer could clean up the design and make a killing. Also a separate generator with selectable voltage output would be a better deal - then you could pick the best radio. Anybody seen one?
As for Radio Shack selling cheap junk, their shortwaves are simply private label Sangean's, which are well rated. Occasionally a bargain comes up on close out or sale, but you need to shop around. As for the rest of their stuff, no comment.

Back