A sad but joyful day

My beloved Esee 6 has been missing in action for upwards of six months now and I think I have finally given up on it returning or reappearing. The dilemma now is whether or not I just replace it with another Esee 6 or do I give another knife the chance to fill this void in my heart? any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. I am open to any suggestions at this point. It is a sad day but one that looks to new beginnings!

How can a knife-fan exist for six months without picking up a "something" replacement? It would drive me nuts if I lost my EDC.
Perhaps it was just a woods-knife that you loved...but it wasn't an every-day necessity. This is NOT a small knife; I assume you lost it in the woods...
I've only had two ESEE's, but both were excellent. Yes, it will show up if you buy another. Leave the new one in the box for a week or two, so you can sell it again as nib.

Last edited:
If you really liked your Esee 6 and decide to replace it for something in the same price range look at the new Esee 6HM ... I have a handful of Esee knives and bought one of the Esee 3HM and liked it so much soon after my 4 and 6 both got replaced by the newer 4HM and 6HM models ... to me they are far more comfortable for a woods knife ... only thing you may not like is they come with leather sheaths ... just my two cents worth

Take this opportunity buy into any small tweaks you wanted made to the 6:
Upgraded alloy, more ergonomic handle, thicker or thinner stock, et al.

You can even go custom for around $150-$200, which might yield a nice upgrade.

You could always use my tactic: buy 5 knives to cover the grief of loss only to discover you still mourn your knife, then buy 5 more. Bury those feelings in a mountain of new knives! It's what Dr. Phil would do!

Good luck on whatever you decide!

You could always use my tactic: buy 5 knives to cover the grief of loss only to discover you still mourn your knife, then buy 5 more. Bury those feelings in a mountain of new knives! It's what Dr. Phil would do!

Good luck on whatever you decide!

That's what I do with my SanRenMus, S&Ws, Schrades and Gerbers and thanks to that I have hundreds of knives sitting in a large case, desperately waiting for the day they get to be used. :(

That's what I do with my SanRenMus, S&Ws, Schrades and Gerbers and thanks to that I have hundreds of knives sitting in a large case, desperately waiting for the day they get to be used. :(
That's funny, instead of buying a bunch of SRM, S&W, Schrade and Gerbers that I won't have time to use, I buy two or three quality knives.

This way I can use them all, get my monies worth, have a higher overall quality and enjoy them (all) to their potential. Instead of having 10-20 knives just sitting around, I have 3-5 waiting for their day(s) in the weekly rotation.
-----
For your "hundreds" of knives, let's say 150 for the sake of math. At an average of $20 per knife, that is $3,000 total spent.

That is quite a few higher end knives that would all see the light of day and pocket time. Say maybe you bought second hand, this means you could have a knife case that looked like:
2 Wayfarers
3 different types of "basic" CRKs
3 Benchmades
3 Spydercos
And a dress knife like a:
William Henry, or a few nice traditionals.

Possibly a little more if you shopped the exchange for deals.

Last edited:
Good response so far. I've definitely considered ordering a new in hopes that my old would turn up right afterwards. I would not be able to keep the new one in the box for two weeks though! I am the kind of guy that gets a new knife and brings it outside to try it out right away! I had slightly modded my 6 as well, reprofiled the blade a bit and made wood scales. A new 6 just wouldn't be the same!

I've bought other knives since losing the 6 but not of the same caliber or style. It was a camp knife for me and I've fallen back on my modded Becker Bk7 but still miss the 6 at times. You guys understand what my wife doesn't, it doesn't matter how many similar knifes you have of one make, style or size, it is never enough and no two knives are exactly the same!

Don't know if you want to step up this much, but the Fallkniven NL series are sweet. If they're not too thick.

I really like the fallkniven a1 pro and plan to buy one some day but it's not in the budget right now! I haven't really thought of custom, always just assumed it would be too expensive for me right now.

Since it is "beloved", I'd replace it with another ESEE 6, or maybe a Kabar Becker BK-7. Just depends on how loved it was.

I haven't really thought of custom, always just assumed it would be too expensive for me right now.
Who wouldn't want to upgrade from 1095 to Vanadis 4E for near the same cost as a Esee 6?
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kornalski-jamall-knives-pm-m390-and-vanadis-steels.1506591/
First knife offered is a 4.9" bladed version. It is Right up your alley.

There are plenty of Custom Knifemakers on here that can get you a significantly higher tiered piece for the same coin...

The market is Heavily in favor of the buyer right now. Especially when it comes to custom fixed blades. It is like a race to the bottom... Whoever is willing to sell for less, and makers keep going lower...

Get an actual knife and not a sharpened crowbar. As long as you don't needlessly abuse your knife you will be much better served by a blade with good edge geometry and a grind suited for the work you often use it for.

I'm not sure that I completely follow your comment about the ESEE 6 being 'sharpened crowbar'. If you were referring to the ESEE 5, I'd be far more inclined to agree with you. The 6 has a maximum thickness of .188 inches (4.8mm) on a full height, flat ground blade height of 1.56″ (40mm) so the geometry is actually pretty good for cutting.

The 5 has a blade thickness of .25 inches (6.4mm) and a more pronounced sabre grind on a similar blade height so I get the 'crowbar'/ prybar comparison in that case.

For what it's worth, I lost my ESEE 6 in a house fire but whilst I had it, I found it to be a useful woods knife that was robust and easy to maintain at a pretty good price. I like the look of the newer ESEE-6HM variant but have never handled one...

Reactions: rpn
I'm not sure that I completely follow your comment about the ESEE 6 being 'sharpened crowbar'. If you were referring to the ESEE 5, I'd be far more inclined to agree with you. The 6 has a maximum thickness of .188 inches (4.8mm) on a full height, flat ground blade height of 1.56″ (40mm) so the geometry is actually pretty good for cutting.

The 5 has a blade thickness of .25 inches (6.4mm) and a more pronounced sabre grind on a similar blade height so I get the 'crowbar'/ prybar comparison in that case.

For what it's worth, I lost my ESEE 6 in a house fire but whilst I had it, I found it to be a useful woods knife that was robust and easy to maintain at a pretty good price. I like the look of the newer ESEE-6HM variant but have never handled one...

The ESEE 6 is not a prybar like a person might refer to the ESEE 5 or BK-2. I also would look at the -6HM over the original ESEE-6. One of the main complaints about their knives was the thin handles.

Back