A sad day: my first Kizer return :(

Cyrano

Gold Member
I have several Kizer folders, all of which work well for me. I expected the same from my newly-received Uprising, but it was not to be.

Using my normal grip, I can't get the blade to deploy. With this knife, my normal grip puts slight pressure on the lockbar, which this knife's design can't tolerate.

For some knife brands, I've had this problem with every framelock model I've tried. Until now, I've never had this problem with any Kizer framelock.

The worst part of this is knowing that other Kizer framelocks may behave similarly for me. I don't want to be a problem customer who routinely returns purchases, but lacking any knife store in driving distance of my home, I can't try before I buy ... so from now on, I must be very cautious about buying any Kizer framelock.

I have several Kizer folders, all of which work well for me. I expected the same from my newly-received Uprising, but it was not to be.

Using my normal grip, I can't get the blade to deploy. With this knife, my normal grip puts slight pressure on the lockbar, which this knife's design can't tolerate.

For some knife brands, I've had this problem with every framelock model I've tried. Until now, I've never had this problem with any Kizer framelock.

The worst part of this is knowing that other Kizer framelocks may behave similarly for me. I don't want to be a problem customer who routinely returns purchases, but lacking any knife store in driving distance of my home, I can't try before I buy ... so from now on, I must be very cautious about buying any Kizer framelock.

Can't you just change your grip slightly?

Can't you just change your grip slightly?

Could I? Yes.

Will I? No.

My normal grip has been deeply ingrained over many years, and is automatic and unconscious -- what some call "muscle memory." To change my grip when opening this knife would require a deliberate and conscious action, which would make opening the knife slower and less fun.

In practice, it's worse than that. When I do try to change my grip to one which works, I often fail. Opening the knife requires trial-and-error, which is worse than "less fun" -- it's positively annoying.

If I wanted to fix the annoying problem of needing to make several failed attempts before I could deploy the blade successfully, I would have to practice with this knife long enough for its required grip to become muscle memory. I am disinclined to invest the hours needed to develop this new muscle memory unless by doing so I would gain some significant value, which is not the case here. While I like the design of the Uprising, I don't see it providing any unique capabilities over the knives I already own.

Even if I were willing to make this investment, I expect it would create other problems. Having more than one automatic pattern for deploying a folding knife introduces the opportunity to use the wrong pattern in any given situation -- e.g., I mistakenly use my Kizer-specific pattern in attempting to open my LionSteel, or vice versa. That would be another source of annoyance.

The pitfall of all frame locks. I see other type locks getting more popular.Compresion , axis, liner ,scorpion............all these you can grip normally and deploy normally.

Back