A special 165OT Woodsman

Codger_64

Most serious collectors I've known have a favorite brand and pattern of knife. For many years it was the 165OT for me. My first serious fixed blade knife purposely made for hunting and camping.

Likewise, it seems natural to search out the earliest known example of the favorite pattern. And that is what I have here. A salesman's sample serialized under number one hundred. In fact #00009!

While the 165OT first appeared in 1967 catalogs and advertisements, factory records show the first 1,237 were shipped by year's end 1966. This would include these sales samples and first production of Norm Thompson Shikari knives, and first sales by Sears and Belknap.

Earliest MSRP was $20 which sounds cheap today but it was expensive back then. Consider that minimum wage was $1.25 per hour and gas was .32 cents per gallon. in fact, adjusted for inflation that first MSRP would be just over $200 in today's dollars.

As you will see, the earliest came in a quite fancy hinged top gift box with molded plastic tray and included a sharpening stone. This presentation evidently proved too expensive not long in production and the box was changed first to a smaller slip top box, then a fold down box. The stone was eliminated also.

The knife itself is unique in that with such a low serial number, it was definitely hand produced by experienced cutlers with great attention to detail, unlike later production by factory assembly line workers who were tasked with producing quantities under somewhat relaxed QC standards,

Being an unmolested sales sample with complete packaging also provides insight into the earliest offerings spoken of in ads but not illustrated. The proper Schrade Walden insert pamphlet, the dealer display instruction note, polybags for knife and stone are most assuredly correct for the first issue.

I'll add better pictures soon as I can but these will have to suffice for now.00009 165OT.jpg

00009 165OT tang.jpg

00009 165OT Insert.jpg

00009 165OT Stone.jpg

Tell 'em about the obliquely oriented strap on the sheath, Michael. What a great set! šŸ˜ :cool:

Tell 'em about the obliquely oriented strap on the sheath, Michael. What a great set! šŸ˜ :cool:
As you mention, that style retainer strap was first used on the 165OT but soon replaced by a strap encircling the handle. Same with the earliest 152OT, those straps tended to get cut by users unsheathing and resheathing the knives.

By the way, here is the slip top box which replaced the early display hinge top gift box.

165OT sliptop box a.jpg

And an ad showing the hinged gift box but with changed retainer strap.

SW-71-1.jpg

Michael, that's a monster find, lowest serial number I'm aware of in any Schrade. :thumbsup:
The lowest serial on the 165OT pattern I had seen prior to this one was #00523. I also had #00953 in my collection before it and many others were stolen. And a few of the Shikaris for Norm Thompson were in the #00200 range.

My first post was in this sub forum but I completely forgot about it. Trying to keep an eye out for new posts now. What an amazing knife!! šŸ˜

Back