A Trio in Orange...

I added three new pieces of gear to my firekit recently. The Numyth Tohil 2 lighter, the Exotac NanoStriker XL, and an EDC brand xl match case. I got all three in orange...it's kind of a neat color and for survival gear, it's not a bad idea to have hi vis stuff.

I think I'm most impressed with the Numyth lighter. It seems like a huge improvement on a zippo, from a fuel longevity perspective.

I like the NanoSriker XL quite a bit too. I'm extremely proficient in the use of firesteels of all sizes and varieties. The little carbide striker does work okay but it's a little tricky to get a good grip on. I had to adjust my technique a little to get reliable lights with it. If I had my usual striker on my SAK with me, I'd probably just use that if the chips were down. It's a really pocket friendly friendly size and the replaceable rods is a nice feature. Though a note on that: I have several rods that size and thought I'd just buy a die to thread my own. But when I went to the hardware store to check the size of the die, it's an odd size that might be exclusive to Exotac? It's neither a 1/4-20 nor a 1/4-28 thread pitch. Nor is it a metric 6 or 8. Metric 7 was as close as I could find but a metric 7 nut only threaded onto the Exotac firesteel 3 threads or so before it just quit. So it must be close to a 7 but not exactly. I could find no other die that size...even with a google search. Anybody know anything about that?

The EDC match case is a generic brand of the Exotac Matchcap XL evidently. It's a little bigger than I first thought, which makes pocket carry not too likely for me but it's a good option for a pack. The bigger size will let you keep some other things in there besides matches. Funny, it came with the Exotac brand name instructions in the package with pictures and the exact shape of the Exotac. I don't know what's up with that. It's clearly a knockoff and was like $18 cheaper than the Exotac. It seems well enough made and should serve my purposes just fine.

33041798413_b6ca84874b_c.jpg

Back