A Vic Farmer to the rescue!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Have you gotten the hang of opening the Peasant one-handed? For me, it's a key benefit of the Svord's simplicity, and why I like using it. Walking outside with no table to set things on, it's a lot easier to cut my orange with the Peasant.

I'll let you into a secret , I'm actually a Kiwi ( New Zealander ) even though I live in Australia .
I had a Peasant knife way back when they were first thought of , and well before they were ever exported .
Back then it was wooden handle and nothing else , the mini wasn't even a twinkle in Brian Bakers eye :)
I carried a Peasant for maybe 2 years , but newer flashier knives took my attention .
I only just recently got a Mini and its fantastic compared to the original .
The one handed thing is quite individual to the Svord user .
Me I'm a tip up with blade toward you , pinch the blade with thumb and forefinger and with the other fingers push away , the handle swings out and down into your palm .

Ken

Me I'm a tip up with blade toward you , pinch the blade with thumb and forefinger and with the other fingers push away , the handle swings out and down into your palm .

Ken

Yes, that's the trick. I do something very similar.

Now... back to Farmer appreciation!!!

The farmer makes sense to me as a single multi function knife.

But not as a multitool backup to a larger knife. If I'm going to carry and extra tool (and I do), I want even more functionality per ounce. Pliers, scissors and more screw driver selection.

If working on property it's knife in RFP and Blast in rear pocket.

Different strokes.

OK, so I'm sold on the Farmer: I absolutely love the saw on my Vic Camper, my alox Electrician hasn't left my pocket since gregc gifted it to me last October (except when TSA forced me to leave it home), last month I bought a beautiful black Pioneer that I can't stop looking at, and you guys are piling up the testimonials about the Farmer's day-to-day utility. Put those all together, and obviously I NEED a Farmer! :p
- GT

Probably poor form to quote myself, but I should probably confess that I may have changed my mind. :(:confused:
I was recently looking around for colored Farmers, and ran across something called the micro-Farmer. What really attracted me to that model is that it has a small pen blade (instead of the awl), and I've always been a sucker for SAKs with 2 knife blades (e.g., Recruit, Tinker, Camper, etc.). Does anyone have one, and if so, what's your assessment of it? Can a micro Farmer come to the rescue? Thanks.

- GT

Thanks, SAK Guy! That's helpful :thumbup::thumbup:
The issue of the saw being smaller and, thus, less useful is certainly something to consider. But I consider the saw on my Camper to be a useful tool (and in fact, the main reason I picked up the used Camper at a gun&knife show).

- GT

That's cool! The Farmer saw is less efficient than the 111mm saws but it's easier to carry. It's about choices based on need/performance/size (ease of carry). :thumbup:

I just received my farmer about two days ago. Got a great deal on it. Anyway, I thought I would post a pic of it. The black knife is an alox cadet and the other knife is the kershaw leek I was carrying with the farmer today.IMG_1169.jpg

Pioneers and Electricians are threatening our Farming way of life .
Farmers need to rise up and be bumped to the top .

a868b684-7422-44d1-a92d-6179eda25897_zps7fa238b4.jpg

Ken

Pioneers and Electricians are threatening our Farming way of life .

Farmers need to rise up and be bumped to the top .

Ken

….. Then arizonaranchman said:

"Have no fear Ken... The Farmer simply RULES and everyone knows it - even if they won't always admit it!!" :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys "got me" so today I cleaned up my Farmer and put it in my pocket in place of the Electrician. To compensate for the loss of the electricians blade I put a nice little GEC 25 in the watch pocket of my jeans. All is right with the world now! ;) In my heart of hearts I also believe the Farmer rules! :D

Last edited:
You guys "got me" so today I cleaned up my Farmer and put it in my pocket in place of the Electrician. To compensate for the loss of the electricians blade I put a nice little GEC 25 in the watch pocket of my jeans. All is right with the world now! ;) In my heart of hearts I also believe the Farmer rules! :D

Very nice combo, coyote!! :thumbup::thumbup: Those GEC 25s always appeal to me, and its blade is excellent compensation for the Electrician's sheepsfoot, as you pointed out. (But I gotta say that if I had an Electrician Plus like yours, I'd probably bid Farmers adieu! :D)

- GT

Very nice combo, coyote!! :thumbup::thumbup: Those GEC 25s always appeal to me, and its blade is excellent compensation for the Electrician's sheepsfoot, as you pointed out. (But I gotta say that if I had an Electrician Plus like yours, I'd probably bid Farmers adieu! :D)

- GT

Thank you! The Farmer vs Pioneer vs Electrician stuff is all in good fun. I've carried this particular combo before (Farmer and another knife with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe), but a few months ago, in an experiment to downsize and simplify, I decided to try carrying only one knife for a while. The Electrician or Electrician Plus was my choice - which, when compared to the Farmer or Pioneer, basically comes down to "electricians blade vs can opener/small screwdriver" and "saw vs no saw".

Anyway, it was a fun experiment and the Electrician or Electrician Plus served my needs admirably. And I very well may go back to an E or EP some day, but for now it's nice to once again have my Farmer and another traditional knife back in my pockets! ;)

I didn't ''get'' the Farmer initially and couldn't understand the hype over it. Then with use the appreciation mounted. The Farmer gives a lot in a smaller handsome package. I know that I'll get one in orange one day but this Scrooge Mcduck refuses to pay the scalping that I see up here in Canada for them. We'll see what comes around the bend. I just came off an axe buying run so maybe I'll focus on these guys, dunno. Cold Steel came out with some interesting toys this year. Currently I like the silvers because I can use them like tools without worrying about scruffing up a pretty finish, which I know will bug me, kinda, sorta.

Back