Accidentaly dropped 111mm victorinox with wooden scales...

From about no more than 3ft high on wooden floor,and wooden scales broke,one piece broke in 2 andfell off,and the one liner on the corner is bent.I can not believe how fragile these are,i dropped my other saks dozens of times even on concrete,without any damage,Couldnt believe that it could damage like this from minor drop.The knife is brand new,now it has bent liner on corner and broken scales.Any ideas how to resolve this issue?Are all victorinox wooden scales this fragile,or I got a "lemon".The knife is I repeat brand new,never used.

Last edited:
Toss it and buy something else. Yes, any wood shadow pattern (i.e. unbolstered) knife is going to be that fragile. If you want something you can drop on hard surfaces without damage, try FRN.

I'm not familiar with the knives you are talking about, but I feel where you are coming from..... Ugh!!! I'm sorry.

I drop, and scratch stuff all the time. Breaking the tip, is the worst. :(

From about no more than 3ft high on wooden floor,and wooden scales broke, one piece broke in 2 and fell off, and the one liner on the corner is bent. I can not believe how fragile these are, i dropped my other saks dozens of times even on concrete, without any damage, Couldnt believe that it could damage like this from minor drop. The knife is brand new, now it has bent liner on corner and broken scales. Any ideas how to resolve this issue?
Take a pair of needle nose pliers, and straighten the bent liner. Mix up some epoxy. Thicken it til you have a thick paste. You can use flour, fine sanding dust (wood flour), or colloidal silica. Wood flour from a similar colored wood will give the best match. Use the epoxy paste to glue the broken scale back together and both scales onto the knife. Try to keep keep the epoxy out of the knife joints. Tape everything together until the epoxy cures. Sand smooth, and treat with an oil finish. Try not to drop it on the floor in the future.

O.B.

Take a pair of needle nose pliers, and straighten the bent liner. Mix up some epoxy. Thicken it til you have a thick paste. You can use flour, fine sanding dust (wood flour), or colloidal silica. Wood flour from a similar colored wood will give the best match. Use the epoxy paste to glue the broken scale back together and both scales onto the knife. Try to keep keep the epoxy out of the knife joints. Tape everything together until the epoxy cures. Sand smooth, and treat with an oil finish. Try not to drop it on the floor in the future.

O.B.
I sent letter to victorinox,thanx for advice,i doubt these scales would withstand any kind of normal use,have been using victorinox for 30 years,and think i got bad scales,first time in 30 years lol.Dropped other ones several times and nothing happened except maybe minor scratch.These are made to be used.Its not collection piece.Their nylon scales are simply no1,have nylon on 2 92mm saks,that i have been using almost every day for past 10+years,theyre almost like new except some minor scratches,celidor scales suck too ,break very easily but are pretty to look at.

Wood is very "lively" material that is affected by moisture or lack of and when you don't pin it and protect it with bolsters you get problems like this. I think it's a bad idea from Victorinox.

I always thought about wooden SAKs as more of a collector items, not users. They are beautiful, but you must baby them. I would do what Old Biker wrote.

I dont think properly stabilized wood is this brittle and break this easily...some pple i know have homemade scales with proper stabilized wood and have no problems at all

Was it advertised as being stablized wood? I think it is unlikely that Victorinox is using stabilized wood.

O.B.

Back