Adhesive for Kydex?

Hi K...

Well thats a good question..
I guess it all depends what and how you want to glue things....

If you can explain to me what you want to do with it,, I could help you a little more...

The glue I use is call Plastix by Loctite.
It has to be used Very carefully and properly if you are to get good results.

When done properly the bond is stronger than the base material,which proves to me it is working the way I want it to...

Another glue that my father has been testing for me is called Gorilla glue. Test thus far are not conclusive, but look promising to say the least...

Please feel free to drop me a note and I'll try to help you the best I can...

ttyle Eric....

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

I want to seal a portion of a fold-over sheath that I received with a Newt Livesay knife. Just a minor repair...

If you are trying to glue two pieces of Kydex together, the chemical methanol actually fuses the material creating a solid, watertight bond.

Brian

Will the Methanol trick work for Concealex as well??

If so, can you sand and buff the area afterward without causing any problems??

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

Clay...

In general,, if it works on Kydex,, it will work on Concealex,,for the most part...

They are basically pretty much the same, and I believe only slightly chemically different..

I haven't used this method,, so I can't testify to it..

ttyle Eric...

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

Kydex … is a PVC acrylic

Consealex is press-Laminated ABS/ PVC

For low stress Oatey CPVC Cement works fine with Kydex and Consealex. Be sure to follow the instructions on the can. Oatey’s can be purchased in any pluming supply store.

For high stress nothing beats the 3M Scotch-Weld series of Structural adhesives. (better then 1000psi shear resistance). I prefer p8005. I have yet to try it on consealex or any of the many other ABS/PVC’s.

------------------
“We are the pilgrims masters; we shall go, always, a little farther.”

Thanx Scott and Normark.......... I guess it's experimentation time!

Has anyone tried to fuse a seam together using heat?? Like with a soldering iron for instance??

This is something else I've been thinking about lately. Let the experiments begin!

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

Clay,

It can be accomplished through ultrasonic welding. Ultra sonic welding is common in the plastics industry, however, it dose require a U/S welding unit. The unit vibrates at a high frequency producing heat below the surface of the parts causing the two to melt together with out distorting the outer surfaces. Pretty cool but normally not practical aside from long run projects.

------------------
“We are the pilgrims masters; we shall go, always, a little farther.”

Clay,

I use Loctite 4140. Works great. Pretty cheap. And it HOLDS!!! I use it to make IWB sheaths. And not one sheath has had the clip pulled off no matter how hard I tried.

I would think a industrial two part apoxy would work fine. Good luck!

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

Back