Aftershock/CQC-7 Photos plz?

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone who owns both would be kind enough to post CQC-7/Aftershock comparison pics with the handles lined up for size reference.

I'm a 7 carrier, but it gets cramped in certain grips. If my suspicions are correct, the Aftershock should be just big enough for a comfier grip, and just small enough for EDC. The all I'll have to do is decide between that and some others. . .
LOL.

And if anyone feels REALLY frisky, the Commander and Mini 15 are those others. (I had the Mini Comm and it was WAY too small for my hands. And the Full 15 seems a bit too big for edc).

Sigh, oh to be able to buy all 4.

Sorry bout all the extra fluff. I just want to see how the Aftershock's grip/thumb ramp lines up with a 7. That's it! The rest is just more butter!

I appreciate the time anyone takes and will accept all I can get!

Thanks peeps!

I don't have an Aftershock, but the Roadhouse / Combat Systems Fighter have handles that are pretty similar. If you thought the Mini-Comm was too small, than I have a feeling the Mini-15 will also be too small, especially with the flares at the butt of the handle. Hopefully someone can post a CQC-7 with the Aftershock for you.

y4m50YhGlv2lKaDyC650ucS379k3f3UitvCy7QkeqtdsfMeei1FeWd2-ox9FnqWVgnrjQHav6qpv8fCzfeoQGyphzXmx8m3VA2liNfGAWUNF7fnJuXJV5neA_yLAFOELU-EtUD3rQAgBy0kH08g7yLwPl0F_Kvk25RwXzhnX6-UTX1jETEnRNZuH1JCfty_8VBUZwUUzQGuXhIkx_h2hg6KDA

y4mHn_4Idcf8Z5NKuJTNsnz8QLtTtBeOvQVMQYXHInGxfSvFHPr9NAWrRffnfvlZjcQ0HmVcXfzjo5kqFohQeTSV3FZmVFkvNgEMa1Ld_Qwt6ypj5Jtc7sL_CvNRI_fyHNzIAQ4Wwxapb9LSa_jnKC8H3LRXKNXr1qWMnbBce1zrwWt-XHPQ1Q2Zu46pEVNZj7q_0fyiajkVllHHWKfuyoZxw

y4m7iMAqtkx7tVciLP76DaY8tT7asE7lpjbel3IXODTDFh89SdXhnMjyYbVME9z9on8VmO2IqVml8Tgq-oirenRK8IiIj3BfMlzkfwhPq_dcDUEnsmkt6edv1D_LAgNArNv-of4UIEwABDfMbKEI-cpbm1fUvY7nCnLPrJ_eHP2gaajkwqqYkrWsv2Vuf5O8lSU64K-2p_W_IiOf51sT5AX3A

Thank you Harvey! I really appreciate your time!

Regarding the 15 being too small -
It would be if I was using the thumb ramp. But I'm thinking the way the handle maximizes finger space would allow me to actually get my thumb PAST the wave to lay flat on the spine for a more secure Filipino style grip, which is how I prefer to hold my knives for most things. I do this with my 7 all the time, but I have to shift my hand forward past the finger cutout. The 15 naturally looks to place my hand there. So I think it will be perfect.

Never understood Saber grip on folders for fighting. Or utility for that matter. That grip, by design, is meant to open up the hand to make a large blade move faster and keep the point in line with the arm. Not so good for small folders or utility applications IMHO.

To each their own.

Hope that makes sense.

Thx again.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the mini 15 has a very small usable grip. If you want a 7ish grip but slightly larger the Sheepdog is the closest I have felt.
The Aftershock is nice but very different from the 7, not quite as comfortable in as many grips. So far only the 12 and Sheepdog compare to the 7, for me anyway, plus I prefer the bowie to the tanto.
I can probably get some comparison pics this weekend, out of town for work for the week.

Thank you Steely.

I prefer a grip that keeps the back of the handle against the meat of my palm/thumb, with enough room to extend my thumb without opening that space up.

The placement of the thumb ramp on smaller knives is right in the way, so the joint crease on my thumb ends up right on top of the wave hook. Ouch!

I can overcome this on my 7 with no problem by sliding my entire hand forward to where my first finger wraps around the pivot. This allows my thumb to get over the wave to sit flat on the spine. It works fine but at that point I'm no longer taking advantage of the sweet ergonomics these handles can offer. If I slide back to take advantage of the thumb ramp, I then lose the secure contact of the handle against my entire hand because I have to choke up my hand a bit. It's still comfortable, but not as strong for me. I hope that makes some sense!

In short, what I'm after is a knife small enough to EDC, yet big enough to allow my thumb to rest on the ramp comfortably while still filling my hand where it should.

Think basic full hammer fist grip, with the thumb extended straight up like you're hitchhiking.

I realize my ideal knife would be something neutral with no ramp, like the A-100. But I'm addicted to the wave too, and would like to keep it that way!

Hope that explains why I'm curious about the a
Aftershock, and why I think the Mini 15 would work despite its tiny size.

Thanks again for hanging in there!

Last edited:
You da MAN, Steely!

That definitely wouldn't work. Bigger knife, yet essentially the same gripping space. Bleh.

I really appreciate the effort you spent to help me out. Good people here. Thanks again!

Back