Aitor Survival Knives

Hey Folks, Does anyone out there own or use Aitor Survival Knives, specifically the Jungle King II or Desert King I. I have seen their designs on several websites, and they look like a good, rugged survival knife, but I don't know anything about their reputation. Also, what kind of edge type are they, hollow ground, semi - hollow, etc... basically I guess I want to know if they are worth the money.
Thanks for any information anyone has.

Noticed this and thought I would chime in!

The Aitors are decent knives and I have owned/sold several. The blades are hollow-gound and are rather unique. Several years back the Cutlery Shoppe used to put out a regular sale flyer with field tests of certain knives. They tested the Jungle King I & II and rated them highly! The Cuchillo Del Monte (I think) is the standard issue knife for the Spanish Military. They better using than they are looking!;) :D ;)

Jason, thanks for the info, as a relatively new collector any information from you experienced folks is greatly appreciated. Now for the next question. I have seen the JK II for sale at several places online but I don't like using my CC over the internet if I can help it. Does anyone know of mail order places that carry them and will be willing to deal with money orders?

Thanks

Why not give those sites a call and see if they'll take a money order or use your card over the phone.

Hi, Lagarto,
I agree with the Jason's comments. I own the Jungle King II for ten years, and used it as an utility/survival during the war here. However, I must tell you that the blade/handle connection is
THE weak point. A survival knife should have a FULL tang (exception are the Criss Reeve's survival knifes with a hole in the handle, but made from one piece of the steel). I would recommend one of the Fallknivens (A1, S1, F1) in VG-10 steel. I own the A1.
On the other side, I like very much the shape of the JK II blade, which is typically Spanish. As far as the steel is concerned I found different claims for JK II at the web - either 440B or 440C.
Regards,

Franco

For the comments gentleman.., I've held a couple at shows, but never heard these kinves discussed prior to this...appreciated!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].." Hunters seek whtat the [Need]"

lagarto,
I agree with hardheart, most of the sites online have phone numbers listed on their order page or home page. Just give them a call. Most, if not all, accept mail orders with check or money order too. (They would probably hold the order for check clearance though) I certainly would not want to encourage you to do something you do not want to but I have been using my credit card online for a few years and NEVER had a problem!:D :D :D

Aitor is my favorite Spanish knife brand. The knives are made from the European equivalent of 440C. But, beware ,there are very similar Jungle King II knockoffs made in Tiwan and marketed as "GAITOR".

N2S

Aitor actually manufactures blades for the military, both Spanish and foreign. They are rather well made and have a better edge holding quality than most standard combat carbon steel knives. I recall having seen an official picture of a French GIGN member having a JKII at his side. Though I can't be to sure if it's an official issue item. For that matter, there was even a picture of a member of the French Foreign Legion with an Aitor blade as well. If it's good enough for elite Euro Forces, need I say more?!

Krizzard, out.

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

I have had the Jungle King 1 for quite a few years. It is a suprisingly well made knife. I say suprising becuase of the hype over all of the accessory items that the sheath contains. All of the items actually work as intended and the blade steel seems to hold up quite well to hard usage. As far as the tang to handle juncture, I think Aitor approached this rather well, the guard /handle has a rather deap area for the tang to slide into, giving strength. Then a roll pin is used to fasten the two together. After that the remaining portion of tang that is in the handle is buried in some sort of epoxy.All in all a strong and inexpensive approach to attaching the blade/handle. I trust it as much as my Randall #18. It may not be as refined, but it is a good user.

I have had for years one of Aitor's survival knives, a bolo-like job with 9" blade and full tang that is now discontinued. The workmanship is quite ok considering the price and performance is very good. I have thinned out the edge somewhat, but edgeholding is still excellent, even during heavy chopping. Much better, for instance, than on my convex edged carbon steel SOG Tigershark in fact.

Regards Jan

Thanks for all the info folks,
I have been waiting for an overdue check to come in, (one that's owed to me, not the other way around), and it looks like I will be getting that soon. I should finally have some disposable income to spend on knives, and after looking at your reviews I think I will pick up a JK II. Will let you all know what I think when it gets here. Thanx again for the comments. I forget who said it, but the information regarding the handle/blade juncture was very informative, glad to hear that it is almost as good as the Randall #18. I hope to pick up one of those someday too. Also for those of you interested in Aitor check out www.cutlerytogo.com. They're prices are even a few dollars cheaper than the Knife Center.
Lagarto

In my opinion, Aitor is one of the best of all Spanish production brands. I have a Spanish Army issue "Cuchillo de Monte" which I carry whenever camping and it has held up very well. Their fixed blades are definately worth checking out.

I've had a Oso Nero (Cuchilo de Monte) for over ten years, and it has seen a LOT of hard work in the jungles of my country. Excelent knife!! Its blade design makes chopping wood easy.
I think the JKII is a bit too small for my needs.

Hi,
Has Cuchilo de Monte a full tang? If so, is it really full tang, or tepered?
Regards,

Franco

Just got it. It is a big, hefty knife with everything except the kitchen sink in it...including a parasite skinner, single mirror, compass, sharpening stone, extra paracord....yada...yada....yada....excellent deal for the price.

I have the Aitor Nato Bowie. I have not used it to cut anything so I cannot comment on its performance, but I like the design very much. I especially like the wide double guard. Some advertisements claim the steel is an improvement on 440C, and I have also seen it compared to 440V.

what about the kabar next generation, it has a similat handle. i think it costs abit more though.

the aitor almost looks like a machete, i guess that would be good for chopping

rav

Back