Al Pendray has passed...

Dawkind

Platinum Member
Al had been in poor health after suffering a stroke....we are diminished. :(

R.I.P. Al, my sincerest sympathies to your family and my condolences too, you and your work will be missed.

Crap!

I loved Al! He was a very down to earth farrier with an inquisitive mind and very solid skills.

We have lost a great man and are much worse off for it.

Sadly,

Steven Garsson

Sad news. Prayers sent for Al who is continuing his journey and for his family and friends.

IMG_2343.PNG IMG_2343.PNG To say that Al was a consumate blacksmith and a master bladesmith only scratches the surface. Many Kentucky Derby horses were shod by Al the farrier. He was also a hell of a nice guy.

RIP, Mr. Pendray. He was one of the first bladesmiths that I talked to at any length about the craft at the Guild Show in the early 90's in Orlando.

I did not know Al personally but knew of his work. R.I.P., another loss to the community.

I hadn't seen Al in some time, but we always visited for an hour or so at Blade. Over the years I had about 5 of his Wootz "cutoff" knives. Two of which I still have and a Southwest Bowie in Wootz, Monel and Lignum Vitae that he made special for me.

Will try to post a photo later of one of the "cutoff" knives.

Reason I called Al a farrier up above was that he called himself that. He was proud of it. He was a gentleman. He was bright enough and educated enough to discuss and lecture on metallurgy in general and Wootz steel in specific with anyone, from academics to basic folks with questions to ask.

He was humble and patient, and he will be missed by those who knew him greatly. We will not see his like again.

Safe passage my friend, RIP.

Steven Garsson

RIP, Al. To me, the title Master Farrier is equally and perhaps even more prestigious than Master Smith. Was a multi horse owner for many years and believe me, the guy who kept them on their feet was one of the most important relationships I had. You just don't trust those babies to an amateur. His credentials as as farrier and the celebrity of his client list speaks for itself.

Paul

Back