Albers Cutlery Company

BQgRvXZ.jpg

I’ve come to the conclusion I probably found out about these great knives too late to be able to get one more than likely. Been trying for the last 4 drops, and got as close as having one in the cart, but then have it sniped out 2 of those times.

I’m honestly getting to the point that I’m not sure I’m going to keep going after them, but when I see the photos here, it does make me want to give it at least one more try.

I’ve gotten to a pretty good spot in my collection, and most knives don’t really give me that drive to chase them anymore, but the lambs here are still an exception. Hopefully it works out one day, but it really is dis-heartening sometimes with how these systems work. If I had one “complaint” it would be having something sniped out of your cart while you’re entering payment info. I learned to use PayPal or Apple Pay to be faster, but it was a pretty harsh let-down the first time 😅

I’ll probably break down and just get one off the exchange if it comes up in covers I want one day, or who knows, maybe next drop is the one that works out.

Genuinely glad for all y’all that managed to get one though! They’re gorgeous!

I’ve come to the conclusion I probably found out about these great knives too late to be able to get one more than likely. Been trying for the last 4 drops, and got as close as having one in the cart, but then have it sniped out 2 of those times.

I’m honestly getting to the point that I’m not sure I’m going to keep going after them, but when I see the photos here, it does make me want to give it at least one more try.

I’ve gotten to a pretty good spot in my collection, and most knives don’t really give me that drive to chase them anymore, but the lambs here are still an exception. Hopefully it works out one day, but it really is dis-heartening sometimes with how these systems work. If I had one “complaint” it would be having something sniped out of your cart while you’re entering payment info. I learned to use PayPal or Apple Pay to be faster, but it was a pretty harsh let-down the first time 😅

I’ll probably break down and just get one off the exchange if it comes up in covers I want one day, or who knows, maybe next drop is the one that works out.

Don’t give up, the stars will eventually align for you! Eric’s knives represent great value for a higher end slipjoint.

Yeah, keep trying. Don’t give up. One piece of advice I have is to treat drops (not just Albers) like they’re little puzzles. The “solution” to one puzzle won’t necessarily work on a different puzzle. You’re all amped up during a drop, trying to check out as fast as possible. One thing that has worked for me is to go into a drop NOT with the intention to buy, but to learn how to checkout in the most efficient way possible. If I tell myself that I’m not really trying to score the item, I can analyze the situation much more clearly, then try to apply what I’ve learned the next time around. It might take a few drop cycles, but you’ll figure it out eventually. Take advantage of the fact that the drops are announced. Random drops bring a whole other set of “problems,” but even those have (different) strategies that can ultimately work in your favor.

If you think this is hard, try buying something more popular than pocket knives (i.e. limited edition sneakers, new gaming systems, etc). A lot of times you won’t even see them listed as in-stock. They’ll sell out completely in the time it takes your page to refresh. Or buying something there is only one of…that’s never easy, even if you do everything right. Point is, Albers is doable, so stick with it.

Don’t give up, the stars will eventually align for you! Eric’s knives represent great value for a higher end slipjoint.
Yeah, that’s what got me to go after them for sure!

Yeah, keep trying. Don’t give up. One piece of advice I have is to treat drops (not just Albers) like they’re little puzzles. The “solution” to one puzzle won’t necessarily work on a different puzzle. You’re all amped up during a drop, trying to check out as fast as possible. One thing that has worked for me is to go into a drop NOT with the intention to buy, but to learn how to checkout in the most efficient way possible. If I tell myself that I’m not really trying to score the item, I can analyze the situation much more clearly, then try to apply what I’ve learned the next time around. It might take a few drop cycles, but you’ll figure it out eventually. Take advantage of the fact that the drops are announced. Random drops bring a whole other set of “problems,” but even those have (different) strategies that can ultimately work in your favor.

If you think this is hard, try buying something more popular than pocket knives (i.e. limited edition sneakers, new gaming systems, etc). A lot of times you won’t even see them listed as in-stock. They’ll sell out completely in the time it takes your page to refresh. Or buying something there is only one of…that’s never easy, even if you do everything right. Point is, Albers is doable, so stick with it.

I do appreciate the words of encouragement from you both. I’m going to keep at it and hope I can make it happen.

And honestly I don’t usually even entertain the idea of products that are super difficult to purchase, but Albers and some of the GECs are the exceptions for me, because there is just nothing that compares to them!

It’s not a fun process, like hunting for an older GEC or more vintage traditionals, but I do know it will be worth the effort once I (hopefully) manage to get one in my hands 😂

ea42 ea42 I was not quick enough to land one, but your latest batch was excellent. The Springbok horn was incredible, and the Tasmanian Blackwood looks like Koa! I didn’t think your knives could get better, but I was wrong!

Also, Charr Charr you should ignore everyone that is saying don’t give up. You should definitely give up, and the rest of you should give up also. I will let you know when things have settled down……….

Like many others here, I can commiserate with your frustration. If you feel you are playing on an uneven field, your perception would be 100% correct. Luck is a big part, of course, as is being in the right place at the right time, but there is also a level of technical acumen that is brought to bear on coveted drops. The typical collector/enthusiast isn't going to be competing with such things unless their luck can overcome the science.

That said, don't be discouraged. I have a very modest assortment of Eric's craft. I acquired one on the secondary, one was a very lucky score on a release, and the last was an offering from a kind member here. I am not chasing the drops but I am still enthusiastic over Eric's knives. They are worth whatever effort you are willing to put into acquiring them.

(For the record, if Eric makes a Lamb with Stag, I will likely join the chase again.)

00iE2Cm.jpg

Dylan is correct. A handful of technically savvy collectors have broken the code, pun intended. I have had this confirmed by at least one GEC dealer who can see it from their end on drops. How else can one person manage all variants of the most highly coveted knives when most of us cannot even see the offerings before they are gone? I have participated in many drops over the years with occasional success, but something has changed. I probably will not stop trying, but I am glad that my collection is pretty much where I want it to be. I will not be buying many more knives, (famous last words, and I reserve the right to change my mind!)

Eric, ea42 ea42 , can I make a humble suggestion? Would it be possible for you to make a list of those of us who have contributed to this thread over the past few months? Maybe you could reserve a very few knives from each run and work your way through that list? That way, eventually, over time, your Blade Forum fans would be able to pick up a knife at some point. Please do not take this as a complaint, it is only a suggestion. I know full well that you have considered many different options. The problem you have is a very good one for you. I know you are trying to be as fair as possible, and there is no easy solution. This just occurred to me as I drooled over the Springbok Lamb. (Another sentence that would sound utterly ridiculous to people outside of our collecting world!)

What about a Blade Forum SFO? Eric already has a system of ordering through his website with multiple payment options. I’m sure he wants to spend his time on building the knives, and not a special ordering process. Just packaging them and shipping takes a lot of time.

Back