Alox and one-hand SAK questions

Is Victorinox dropping their alox handled models? I have an alox Classic I bought about a year ago that I like much more than the plastic scaled Classic I carried for many years before that. It's thinner, and I don't miss the toothpick and tweezers that much. I bought the alox Classic at Target for about 14 bucks, and now I don't see them there anymore. I checked the Victorinox web site and the only alox model I could find was the Soldier (which I also have and like, though mine is a Wenger standard). I also couldn't find any alox models other than the soldier and electrician at Knifecenter.com. What gives?

Also, what was the name of the SAK that had the one-hand opening blade with the hole? I can't find that one either.

The one hand model was called the Trailmaster. For some reason, they changed it to Trekker.

I dont think they are going to drop the alox line. There is a place here that sells many of the alox models. They dont have room to display all the SAKs they carry, so they just put a catalog on the counter, you look at it and tell them what you want and they get it from the storage cabinet. The catalog is always the current year models, and the last one I looked at had all the alox models listed.

My guess would be that maybe the Knifecnter only carried the most popular models of SAKs, and in the alox line, and that maybe the Electrician and Soldier.

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. Apparently there are a few around, but I wonder if they have been discontinued as well...

wenger had some stainless steel handle SAK....pls check their web site..

so i think wenger is better than victorinox..

There are a couple of newer one hand models as well (Victorinox).
The One Hand Fireman and The One Hand Parachutist.
The One Hand Trekker is my EDC.

Chuck

Many of the Alox models, such as the Settler and Harvester, were not available in the US in previous years. Those of us who like these models were ordering them from Europe. Now that they are available in the US, some knife retailers have picked them up, but other retailers seem unaware. I think they will become more common over time.

The alox models are MORE available now than ever. Many of the european only offerings are now available here. The problem is using victorinox.com, since they have almost none of their models on there, which can be confusing. A much more complete site is www.swiss-knife.com or any of the online retailers stateside... Knifecenter, for some reason, has very little SAK selection.

and at the risk of starting a 'debate', wenger isn't even in the same league as Victorinox...

numberthree said:
and at the risk of starting a 'debate', wenger isn't even in the same league as Victorinox...

I'd say they are in the same league, just not up to Victorinox's quality. I have owned a Wenger SAK and it held up fine, and had pretty good fit and finish. All my SAK's now though are Victorinox's. They have better models and a little better quality.
-Kevin

numberthree said:
The alox models are MORE available now than ever. Many of the european only offerings are now available here. The problem is using victorinox.com, since they have almost none of their models on there, which can be confusing. A much more complete site is www.swiss-knife.com or any of the online retailers stateside... Knifecenter, for some reason, has very little SAK selection.

wenger is not worse than vic.....his invention is much clever than vic,i.e.sharp scissor,saftey screwdiver,etc......but vic still use the stupid and easy to break spring....the only thing wenger is worse than vic is the steel quality not gd as vic....and the craftsmanship and finish are still far from vic....

these is just IMHO.....

ckl said:
wenger is not worse than vic.....his invention is much clever than vic,i.e.sharp scissor,saftey screwdiver,etc......but vic still use the stupid and easy to break spring....the only thing wenger is worse than vic is the steel quality not gd as vic....and the craftsmanship and finish are still far from vic....

these is just IMHO.....

Actually the scissors are not sharper then on Victorinox's. The Wenger scissors just have teeth. I prefer the Victorinox ones for paper and thread, but for tougher jobs the Wenger's teeth do work better.

The locking screwdriver on the Wenger's is nice, but it should also be noted that Victorinox has much more clever ideas then that. The whole Cybertool line, the Altimitor, Timekeeper, Swissflame, USB memory knife, and many other technological knives, show the inventivness of Victorinox. Those are knives as a whole, but in terms of tools the Victorinox also has a better can opener w/ a small screwdriver for phillips, the mini screwdriver that fits into the corcscrew, a better awl that can be used as a wood or plastic drill w/ a sewing eye, and the toothpick and tweezer tops do not break easily like on a Wenger.

All of that does not even mention the fact that Victorinox produces a higher state of quality worksmanship and better knife steel (and this is a knife, we should remember that), as you pointed out yourself. So is Wenger in the same league? Yes, but they aren't able to beat Victorinox in terms of a quality product.
-Kevin

ckl said:
wenger is not worse than vic.....the only thing wenger is worse than vic is the steel quality not gd as vic....and the craftsmanship and finish are still far from vic....

let me get this straight: worse materials, craftmanship and finish doesn't make a worse knife? Certainly if you like the features that Wenger offers, I have no problem with that, but Wengers just look and feel like cheap copies... (Soldier model excepted, since they HAVE to build that to the same specs that Vic does.)

How often have you broken a Vic scissors spring? I've got several models that have served hard duty outdoors for years, and I've never broken one.

Actually I have seen a few Vic springs broken on the scissors. When I worked at a knife store, we carried replacements. They only took a minute or two to replace. Wenger does have the better spring set-up, although when they break, you are stuck with it like that.

I have a few Wengers, and I think they are fine knives with good quality. Still, they are not up to Vic standards.

how do you replace the spring?

rycen said:
how do you replace the spring?
This is from a man on my Yahoo Group who said that this information can be shared. "Getting the old broken spring out is pretty straight forward. Grab it with a pair of small pliers, and "slide" it out sideways. Alternatively, use a small pin punch, and "tap" it out. I prefer the plier method. Installing the new spring is not so easy. I use a small pair of smooth jaw pliers, and "press" the spring into the hole. The trick is to put enough finger pressure on the spring so that the long curved section adjacent to the hole almost straightens out, so that the spring will fit into the tiny slot. This takes a little practice. The spring will not just "pop" in. You must "flex" the shape of the spring so it will fit in the tiny slot, while "pressing" in with the pliers. It can be challenging at first, but once you get it, you will think it is easy."

Morgoth412 said:
Actually the scissors are not sharper then on Victorinox's. The Wenger scissors just have teeth. I prefer the Victorinox ones for paper and thread, but for tougher jobs the Wenger's teeth do work better.

The locking screwdriver on the Wenger's is nice, but it should also be noted that Victorinox has much more clever ideas then that. The whole Cybertool line, the Altimitor, Timekeeper, Swissflame, USB memory knife, and many other technological knives, show the inventivness of Victorinox. Those are knives as a whole, but in terms of tools the Victorinox also has a better can opener w/ a small screwdriver for phillips, the mini screwdriver that fits into the corcscrew, a better awl that can be used as a wood or plastic drill w/ a sewing eye, and the toothpick and tweezer tops do not break easily like on a Wenger.

All of that does not even mention the fact that Victorinox produces a higher state of quality worksmanship and better knife steel (and this is a knife, we should remember that), as you pointed out yourself. So is Wenger in the same league? Yes, but they aren't able to beat Victorinox in terms of a quality product.
-Kevin

actually,my dream knife is base on wenger's invention and vic's quality.....haha but i know it will not come truth....

btw,i really hate that vic's stupid idead to making their knife to become flamer,timer and wtf is that USB knife???they forget it is a knife.....not a toy,or a show......

i still support wenger to compete with vic.... :cool:

ckl said:
btw,i really hate that vic's stupid idead to making their knife to become flamer,timer and wtf is that USB knife???they forget it is a knife.....not a toy,or a show......

Victorinox is supplying it's products to a very broad customer base on a world wide scope. They are offering several options that are of absolutely no use to me, but may be for someone else. There's also the gadget nuts who just want something new and unique. One thing is for certain...Victorinox hasn't forgotten that they are knives. They build one of the finest, if not the finest, mass produced knives available.

Paul

ckl said:
actually,my dream knife is base on wenger's invention and vic's quality.....haha but i know it will not come truth....

i still support wenger to compete with vic.... :cool:

In my oppinion the Swissflame is a great knife for campers or hikers. Seems like a good idea.

The USB knife is interesting too. It's certainly doing something new, and therefore is praised by some, disliked by others. In time I feel a tool will have to keep with our currently updating world, and this is a start.

It should be interesting in 2050 when I'm using my Victorinox Camper Computerized Edition to cut rope in the woods, and using the GPS option to tell me how close to home I am. ;)
-Kevin

numberthree said:
The alox models are MORE available now than ever. Many of the european only offerings are now available here ...

... Knifecenter, for some reason, has very little SAK selection.
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. Although the European models are available to US retailers, many are not listing them. I'm not sure why. Maybe I will email a few places and ask if they are aware of the new models.

Back