Alox Cadet, Victorinox' best SAK

The Alox Cadet has no tweezers or tooth pick. I'll take the plastic handled one myself. :D

I bought the 2015 edition Cadet for my wife. That navy blue is beautiful. I regret not getting the 2015 Pioneer for myself, but my black alox with red shield Pioneer still does the trick.

Gotta love the Alox Cadet, such a great pocket knife. However, I like my farmer a lot more. Both of them are awesome knives, it's a tough call.

Then you have the OHT, your Swisschamp, a classic, or...

Farmer is just a goodie and oldie one! Specially in color

20161221_091613_zpsbuj9o3dz.jpg

The Cadet is a great SAK only second to my Soldier. When I'm in the office my Cadet is the 1st choice. For me the nail file is a great feature!!

I carry my Cadet when I am dressed up or in a place where having a knife is frowned upon. I understand, from reading on the net, that in NZ and parts of Australia a SAK is considered a multi-tool and so is legal to carry.

I'm surprised Victorinox hasn't increased the space between the blade and the file, considering that they rub, causing scratches, it happens on the classic too.

I never really checked, but I've read that the file on the Cadet was flipped around at some point because of that issue which Victorinox was aware of and changed.. something.

I mig also add that over time, I too say yay to the Cadet.. except think the Alox Bantam takes top spot. It's can do anything the Cadet can with a better, cooler form factor. I think it my favorite of all time. It has a combo-tool! Combo.

Last edited:
I really like the Bantam also. That is one of the SAKs I might carry if I have a traditional knife (usually fairly large one) in my pocket. I very much like the scissors and tweezers.

I never really checked, but I've read that the file on the Cadet was flipped around at some point because of that issue which Victorinox was aware of and changed.. something

Every picture I've seen of the Cadet, has the file facing the Blade. I don't own a cadet myself, just the Classic Alox, the file on it does scratch the blade, but it's not a big deal at that price point, plus I had gotten it on sale for half the price.

I never really checked, but I've read that the file on the Cadet was flipped around at some point because of that issue which Victorinox was aware of and changed.. something.

I mig also add that over time, I too say yay to the Cadet.. except think the Alox Bantam takes top spot. It's can do anything the Cadet can with a better, cooler form factor. I think it my favorite of all time. It has a combo-tool! Combo.

I debated getting the Alox cadet v. The alox bantam a few months ago. I wound up choosing the cadet. Seriously, the thickness of the cadet is really thin, I wasn't going to get much more benefit by going one less layer. For me also, the combo tool - awesome for doing so much in one little tool - is a true compromise. Yes, I can get that Phillips screw turned, but doing so takes so much longer with the combo tool rather than the end of the can opener.

I've had a Cadet for several years, and my knife blade has scratches on it in the file side, near/at the blade spine. Not too badly, though. I have noticed that the knife blade has a washer or something, the only one I've ever seen on a SAK, probably to add a bit more space between it and the file. If I'm mindful and careful when opening the file it won't scratch the blade. But sometimes it still does.

Personally, I'd prefer the (discontinued?) version with the smaller knife blade instead of the file.

Jim

IMHO, the Cadet is one of the top knives produced by Victorinox. Beaten only by the Alox Pioneer series but, even that is debatable.

If Vic. would make it into a baby Pioneer by swapping the file for an in line awl, then it would be the best product in their line up.

I love my alox cadet.., the only thing I would change if I could on it, is add the tweezers and toothpick..

The Cadet is my office carry (Harvester my weekend/outdoor carry). I didn't have the Cadet a week before I sharpened the nail file to a nail file/pen blade combo.

oe

Every picture I've seen of the Cadet, has the file facing the Blade. I don't own a cadet myself, just the Classic Alox, the file on it does scratch the blade, but it's not a big deal at that price point, plus I had gotten it on sale for half the price.
You're right. I must've read that from another model.

I checked mine, I have 4 old and new. All the same.

I like the Cadet but find the nail file to be useless. Wish they still offered it with the pen blade. On most SAKs the pen blade is my most used tool.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back