Am I expecting too much of my Juice C2?

Last night i spent a good half hour getting the blade of my Juice C2 "scary sharp", brown Sharpmaker rods, white SM rods, then stropping, the blade was truly *scary sharp*

today at work, i had to sharpen up an Apple non-conductive pry tool (a.k.a. the "Black Stick") so i could pop apart an iBook case to do a screen replacement

the black stick is a high-density plastic, probably polycarbonate, tough, but flexible

the pry end had worn down, so i decided to "whittle" a new tip onto it, i grabbed the Juice, it was the closest blade to hand, i took a good half dozen strokes to sharpen the black stick and get a workable edge on it

after this whittlin' session, the blade on the Juice was *dull*, stropping didn't bring it back, it felt like the edge had rolled over

this had to be the *least* durable edge i have seen, yes i know Scary Sharp edges aren't generally durable, but geez, i didn't think it would be *that* bad

are Leatherman Juice blades really that bad, or was i expecting too much of a Scary-Sharp edge?

i'll try putting a plain old Utility edge on this one, as it doesn't *need* to be Scary-Sharp, i just go to Scary for bragging rights really.... as it scares my co-workers [evil grin]

Out of curiosity, which angle did you use with your Sharpmaker? I imagine that the 40-degree would work the best, considering the type of steel. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 30 degree edge break down quickly as you describe.

MacTech said:
Last night i spent a good half hour getting the blade of my Juice C2 "scary sharp", brown Sharpmaker rods, white SM rods, then stropping, the blade was truly *scary sharp*

today at work, i had to sharpen up an Apple non-conductive pry tool (a.k.a. the "Black Stick") so i could pop apart an iBook case to do a screen replacement

the black stick is a high-density plastic, probably polycarbonate, tough, but flexible

the pry end had worn down, so i decided to "whittle" a new tip onto it, i grabbed the Juice, it was the closest blade to hand, i took a good half dozen strokes to sharpen the black stick and get a workable edge on it

after this whittlin' session, the blade on the Juice was *dull*, stropping didn't bring it back, it felt like the edge had rolled over

this had to be the *least* durable edge i have seen, yes i know Scary Sharp edges aren't generally durable, but geez, i didn't think it would be *that* bad

are Leatherman Juice blades really that bad, or was i expecting too much of a Scary-Sharp edge?

i'll try putting a plain old Utility edge on this one, as it doesn't *need* to be Scary-Sharp, i just go to Scary for bragging rights really.... as it scares my co-workers [evil grin]

I have a Juice S2. I am not really impressed with the blade or other tools. The SAK's tools are easier to deploy and the blade is far superior the the Juice blade. It's is also a bit heavy and clunky compared to a SAK. The Juice stays in my tool bag on my desk at work while the SAK is carried in my pocket and used much more often. If I need the Juice I go back to my desk and get it but it's not worth carrying around as far as my needs are concerned.

My blade (on a CS4) is still incredibly sharp and I've yet to have it become that dull as a result of cutting something. If I make it "scary sharp" I notice it doesn't stay that way very long but it never becomes as dull as you described. I've never had that problem, then again I've never whittled a powerbook black stick

For my daily use, I find the edge on my s2 lasts long enough. I only use it for stripping wires anyways, usually use my spydie dragonfly to do most of my daily cutting anyways.

Back