Recommendation? American Icons, cont.

Along with the masses who STILL love them! I would be willing to bet it's possibly the most sought after traditional pattern nowadays.
Well, I just bought one which just happens to be the first GEC knife I've ever had. Might well and probably will be the last. It is to my eyes the prettiest Barlow I have ever seen.

I tend to collect a wide variety of knives with history and utility and don't try to fill out any runs or collect any particular manufacturer's range of knives. The knives I showed in my post are pretty typical for me. Good working grade stuff from USA makers that are all carried at least once in a while.

I do like and enjoy a good knife.

Along with the masses who STILL love them! I would be willing to bet it's possibly the most sought after traditional pattern nowadays.
I wouldn’t argue that. I’m wanting a little better one to go with my imperial. Maybe a case. Maybe it’s because case doesn’t make them all the time. Or that schrade didn’t make them for years. But both made plenty of stockmans through that time period. Barlows popularity is certainly seeing a resurgence.

Growing up in southwest Missouri during the 70’s and 80’s the stockman was easily the most common pocket knife I saw pulled from pockets. Schrade was the most common brand with a few Bucks mixed in. Occasionally I would see a Case stockman.
Schrade 77Ot Muskrats was the second most common pocket knife I remember seeing. I would probably see 3 or four stockmen for every muskrat sighting.
I remember seeing a couple of Barlows. Buck 110’s and the Schrade versions were common during hunting season. That’s it. I didn’t see anything else until I was probably 20.
So based on my American experience it would be stockman, muskrat, barlow and lockback folding hunters.
I graduated from Nevada High School in 1970. Your post is steady on from my slightly earlier years.

I started out with a cheap barlow age 6 and it fell apart. Then I saved up and bought my very own old timer 34OT.

I think my favorite pattern is the 47 stockman. I like the size, 3.9 inch, and rounded bolsters. But my most used is the Buck 301 stockman 1987 model. Then I tried a Buck 110 and that finished the conquest of knifedom for what works. I’ve acquired serveral 110s and some 112s along with some flippers and some fixed blades and presently at around 90+ knives. Lol

I personally think the serpentine frame is the most iconically American, I partial to the square bolsters myself.
Boker made a pretty sweet square bolster serpentine stockman (right) in 1910:

4-ED397-C8-DE19-4-D21-A43-B-227-FA9-DA3-D0-E.jpg

In 1958, Harold Peterson wrote a book "American Knives" that was a history of cutlery in America. In one chapter on pocket knives, he had a page that had a print out from shipping records of various jobbers and suppliers. He stated that between 1850something and 1980, the most common pocket knife shipped west was the Russell Barlow. Apparently they were for sale at just about general store and trading post west of the Mississippi.

If there was any other common pocket knife, it would be a medium to large single blade sheeepfoot. Looking at the photos of the knives that were being shipped west on the Steamboat Arabia that sank in the Missouri River and recovered in our time, there were a large number of single blade folders that looked like large garden/florist knives. The knives were amazingly preserved by the mud and silt and were in actually usable looking condition in the photo. Google steamboat Arabia and knife photos.

In the 1870's there was the cattle knife, that morphed into the premium stockman in the 1880's or 90's. The trapper was from a similar era, and the humble little peanut was about 1915. Late in the game endnote real player. My money is on the Barlow for the old standard that was carried by everyone from a cowpoke pushing cows up the trail, to a store keep opening up package to a factory worker back east. Even Frank Hamer carried a old well used Barlow in his pocket while hunting down Bonnie and Clyde. His effects are on view at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco.

I don't know where it originated, but I would call the muskrat pretty darn American. Maybe not as popular as some other patterns mentioned, there seems to be a ton of them out there. I gotta admit, the muskrat is kind of winning me over lately as I seem to use the large main blades of a slip joint the most largely ignoring the others.

Can't forget the old "Kamp King" or one of the many other scout pattern knives. I used to see those things everywhere when I was young. They were hugely popular years ago, you don't see them too much anymore because I think the Victorinox knives pretty much perfected that style of knife and has endured where the others have closed up shop. As much as I love a SAK, there is something just cool about a good old bulky scout knife 🙂

In 1958, Harold Peterson wrote a book "American Knives" that was a history of cutlery in America. In one chapter on pocket knives, he had a page that had a print out from shipping records of various jobbers and suppliers. He stated that between 1850something and 1980, the most common pocket knife shipped west was the Russell Barlow. Apparently they were for sale at just about general store and trading post west of the Mississippi.

If there was any other common pocket knife, it would be a medium to large single blade sheeepfoot. Looking at the photos of the knives that were being shipped west on the Steamboat Arabia that sank in the Missouri River and recovered in our time, there were a large number of single blade folders that looked like large garden/florist knives. The knives were amazingly preserved by the mud and silt and were in actually usable looking condition in the photo. Google steamboat Arabia and knife photos.

In the 1870's there was the cattle knife, that morphed into the premium stockman in the 1880's or 90's. The trapper was from a similar era, and the humble little peanut was about 1915. Late in the game endnote real player. My money is on the Barlow for the old standard that was carried by everyone from a cowpoke pushing cows up the trail, to a store keep opening up package to a factory worker back east. Even Frank Hamer carried a old well used Barlow in his pocket while hunting down Bonnie and Clyde. His effects are on view at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco.
Thanks for an interesting post! 👍
I did Google the Arabia and knives. I’m pretty sure Uncle Scrooge carried a similar knife back in the days running steamboats on the Mississippi 😉

Can't forget the old "Kamp King" or one of the many other scout pattern knives. I used to see those things everywhere when I was young. They were hugely popular years ago, you don't see them too much anymore because I think the Victorinox knives pretty much perfected that style of knife and has endured where the others have closed up shop. As much as I love a SAK, there is something just cool about a good old bulky scout knife 🙂

Yes, I share your sentiment. SAKs are great tools but I’m no fan of cellidor so the SAKs I own all have other scales, semi transparent or nylon. Still, as classic as they are, they do not convey a true traditionals feeling, do they. I seem to recall RR produces a classical scout knife. And I guess Böker does too. But I’ll keep an eye on the 2nd hand market, which is a little limited here in Sweden if one is interested in American patterns, and there is a hefty import tax when buying something on eBay, unfortunately. So I mostly just blade surf on eBay 😉

I personally think the serpentine frame is the most iconically American, I partial to the square bolsters myself.
From stockman to Jack's to pen patterns, I think the serpentine is the most versatile American frame and found on many patterns View attachment 1865255
View attachment 1865254
View attachment 1865261
View attachment 1865264

Yes, I do like the serpentine frame of stockmans and others. It’s eye catching and European symmetrical frames are sort of boring in comparison! And I haven’t been a super-fan of Barlows’ either tbh, although I did buy a super cheap Imperial made-in-China Barlow which actually made the pattern grow on me. I’ll see if I buy some more 😊

I don't know where it originated, but I would call the muskrat pretty darn American. Maybe not as popular as some other patterns mentioned, there seems to be a ton of them out there. I gotta admit, the muskrat is kind of winning me over lately as I seem to use the large main blades of a slip joint the most largely ignoring the others.

Muskrat. Perhaps I should let it win me over too. After all, what’s better than a clip point? Two of course 😉

Yes, I share your sentiment.

I just got my first one of those. Saw them everywhere as a kid, but got all my knives from my dad, who I think thought they were too gimmicky and always bought me more basic jack knives, Barlows, and at least one small stockman. Here is my post about it:

Again, the preview text it shows is from somebody else‘s post for some reason…

I think the TL-29 is one of the iconic American pocketknives. I seem to recall that the basic design of the electrician's knife goes way back to somewhere around the the turn of the last century. These were made by many different manufacturers for a long time. Utica still makes them - the one pictured is an Utica-made and Klein-branded electrician's knife I bought new last year or so. You can find 1970s or 80s Camillus-made TL-29s for sale occasionally on auction sites for even less the Klein costs new, and they tend to be really well made. These are great exactly as they are, but also make wonderful platforms for customization. I don't think a collection of classic American pocketknives is complete without one of these.
20220709_182708.jpg

Barlow may be a Sheffield pattern but those Imperial Barlows have been around here since Huck Finn was a kid, plenty long enough to gain American Icon status. American farmers and workmen of every description used a LOT of them. Kids loved them too.
Imperial didn't start making knives until 1917.....The John Russell Co started producing the first American made Barlows in 1875.
yXsQf0K.jpg

Last edited:
I think the TL-29 is one of the iconic American pocketknives. I seem to recall that the basic design of the electrician's knife goes way back to somewhere around the the turn of the last century. These were made by many different manufacturers for a long time. Utica still makes them - the one pictured is an Utica-made and Klein-branded electrician's knife I bought new last year or so. You can find 1970s or 80s Camillus-made TL-29s for sale occasionally on auction sites for even less the Klein costs new, and they tend to be really well made. These are great exactly as they are, but also make wonderful platforms for customization. I don't think a collection of classic American pocketknives is complete without one of these.
View attachment 1866476
Agree

View attachment 1866476
The first US military spec for the TL-29 was issued in May 1919.
There was also a smaller version, the Radio or Signal Corps knife that was issued in WW1. The difference between the two is apparently the Radio knife has only a locking screwdriver, where the Signal Corps Knife is made on the same frame with a screwdriver and a blade, neither of which lock. Some of these also carried the designation TL-29.

1bcATi2.jpg
qHwo9Dx.jpg
T56B03t.jpg
ElteAgZ.jpg

Back