An often overlooked but awesome tool......

Many times in my 54 years, I have often found that many things that work AWESOME, are considered ugly & utilitarian by the majority of reg people. Some examples that come to mind are: The A-10 Thunderbolt----nicknamed "The Warthog", the Mercedes Benz Uni-Mog, the M1A rifle, and the Ontario Knife Companies SP-8, are just a few.

SP-8. Yup, I think it is an often overlooked but awesome tool. AND, with a few simple mods, that are fun to do, you can make it better. (the price point of OKC products is such, that you can do some mods & IF you mess up, you are not out hundreds of dollars).

I sharpened it to a razors edge, then used my Dremel Tool, with a thin cut-off disc, and sharpened the saw back teeth tips & then cut/notched irregular grooves into the teeth. It now cuts WAY better & does not plug up as much or as quickly. Although considered ugly by many, I think it is a thing of beauty. IMHO, when something is 100% functional & built better than it has to be, by default, it is naturally a thing of beauty. LOL :)

I hadn't thought of doing that. Brilliant idea. I do love OKC blades for the reasons you have stated. But Now I will have to have a god look at the SP8,
Thanks for posting.

Yeah, you just can't kill this thing. 1/4" thick. And, sadly, that people think like they do, it is not as intimidating when non-knife people see it, as there is no pointy tip, to.............."poke your eye out !" I love my SP-8.

I got one as it might be useful and also realized its good for a car as it don't look "BFKie" to those people who have to look in your car to see what is to be seen in there and maybe yell to other people what you got in your car.

Back