An old Scottish Highlander vet reviews his Millennium Special and Chiruwa.

For reasons of his own this gentleman, a former Scottish Highlander, prefers not to post and asked me to post his comments. Here they are. I find the historical information very interesting and trust you may, too.

I think it is a great and very informative post. How many of you have ever read a review by a Highlander?

--------------------------------------------
I suppose you have heard all of the superlatives by now so I will
refrain from trying to describe my pleasure on examining the MS or the
AK.

First I would like to thank you for the script on the left blade cheek HIGHLANDER and I am tickled at the serial # 00 .

I would ask you to extend a special word of appreciation to the Kami for the engraving ( if that is done by the Kami ) and for the overall quality of the blade and handle. Did you notice how on the top of the handle the white horn seems to run up towards the blade in a progressive pattern it seems to catch the eye and direct my eyes to the blade.
What good control of his work that man has.
I am so pleased with this Khukri I can't really express myself without gushing and that is something I don't do. Not sober anyway.

I would like you to post some kind of token of my appreciation to the Kami's involved in the making of these knives. I do not know the wants or needs of these guys and do not want to saddle them with customs duty so I ask you to guide me in what would be wanted . If you can do this I will send what is wanted with the $ for shipping to Nepal . I know watches are a biggy and would buy some if you think it would be appropriate. I do not want to cause any ill feelings either among the Kami's so I defer to your wisdom in these matters.

I thought I wanted a steel mounted AK , but was wrong , as you sent just what I want. Then again I am beginning to think of myself as the Will Rogers of Khukris. "Never met a Khukri I didn't like ". It is perfect
Uncle B ' . I will be going into action soon , clearing some more PTs (plant terrorists ) from my territory. I expect to meet with resistance , but have planned the operation to take advantage of my superior firepower ( new AK power ). I offer that the supreme test of any blade is attempting to cut old dried up palm branches. They are hard as iron
and tougher steel and it takes lots of effort to cut through a branch maybe 5-6" thick when it's been left on the ground and dried out .
One problem I keep making is that trimming with a khukri is so efficient that I cut more than I want to pick up. When I get around to picking up these dried out branches I need to cut them into 4' sections so they will be picked up by the trash guy . I've hacked a 16' branches into four bits time an time again and found that all of my Kooks will hold an edge and need no attention after completing the job.

In retrospect I get madder at myself as days go by remembering how I could have even carried one in Malaya had I had more sense , but in all honesty when I was 18 I had no sense . Strangely I was more impressed by
the issue Enfield bayonet than a Khukri . Probably because we were all so trained to think like we were told and not to question any part of what we were issued with. I never saw anyone or heard anyone display desire for a Khukri as that was what THEY had and WE had what we had but do remember being interested in Khukri's as they were carried by the
Ghurkas . I never patrolled with the Ghurka's as they were always sent on operations which differed from our patrol areas. We were all aware of their successes and successes made by all the other patrols and they of ours as moral was always kept pumped up and a form of competition really existed to see who could make the "elimination's " and we did meet off patrol and did BS and drink beer as we could find
it when we bivvied or basha'd . Very few of them spoke english so communication was less than efficient as we sure did not speak Ghorkali.

I guess at 18 I was so self absorbed and so unaware of my potential demise it never occurred to me to study anything but what my
squad leader ordered . I went into the navy after going back home and completing my apprenticeship when I got out of the Army. I then spent just under five years in Africa and was in the Congo during the uprising
. I was in Portuguese Angola when that country went off too so I got a chance to have fun all over again . My Dad used to tell me to bring pic's back but I only took a couple and again wish I'd been smarter.
Somehow or other it did not seem the right thing to do back then. Like the job was just a job and if someone took pics they were thought of as wanting to impress others with their deeds of daring . Man alive but I'm
rattling on and sober too.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Very interesting fellow. Sounds like he would be one to know what works and what don't I hope he writes you back and tells us how things went for him and his new khuk.

I was in the Highlands just a little over a year ago, at Glenelg near Skye.

Wish I could go back tomorrow.

My host taught us a bit of an old 19th century emigrant boat song which I think I have posted here before:

From the lone shieling, and the misty island,
Mountains divide us, and a waste of seas;
But still the blood is strong, and the heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

-Dave

I suspect this Highlander was a fairly tough fellow. He is 6' 4" and quite active and strong even though today he is in his 60's and has some severe health problems. He calls from time to time and we chat about Gorkhas, Highlanders, et. al. He is a fine gentleman and the only Highlander I have as a pal and customer.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

I'll second the Highlander's praise for the Millennium Special...I just received MS # 01 today and it is everything I had hoped it would be. Far and away the nicest khukuri I've received from Uncle Bill yet (and that's saying quite a lot). I haven't had a chance to use it much yet (just some preliminary bushwacking), but it strikes me as being an excellent using blade as well a beautiful example of the kamis' artistry. I'll try to post some more thoughts on the blade after I've used it for a while. Great stuff...

Jim

The MS has received rave reviews. Even I judged it to be one of the best khukuris I have seen come out of Nepal in terms of beauty and function and I suspect I am more critical than any customer or pal that we have.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

:
The MS is an amazing Khukuri.I am always pleased to get a new one as I know everyone else is.
This is one that I am exceptionally glad I got.
My MS surpasses even the GS in balance and performance.I thought they extra length would somehow make it seem a little unwieldly,but it's balance is superb.It actually feels lighter in my hand than my GS.

The roses are flawless and the blade is one of the best polished ones yet.
The karda and chakma are Excellent!
I done a very mini test on mine,but it was enough to know that it is an incredible knife.
I hit it hard enough on the sides to make my hand hurt and that's the roughest I have treated one in a long while.

I do have to say Uncle is right about the frogs though.
One thing I have noticed about the leather from Nepal that's used on the scabbards.Some of it may be thin,but what ever tanning process that's used there makes it incredibly tough.Actually if the material that was used for the belt loop had of been used for the other part mine wouldn't have been too bad.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

If you mix milk of magnesia with vodka and orange juice do you get a phillips screwdriver?

Khukuri FAQ

This thread keeps reinding me of the TV show "Highlander".

Just how "old" is this Highlander friend of yours anyway Uncle?
wink.gif

There can be only one!

-Dave (shameless as ever)

------------------
Look at my best friend's (non-for-profit) beer page! Bierland.com

My Highlander pal is now 62 I think he said. My junior but not by much. He has led a very adventurous life and I suspect he would still be a very tough customer.

I forgot to say -- if Yvsa says it is good it is. I sent him a couple of knives a couple of kamis made when they were drunk just before Dasein break and I got told about them in no uncertain terms. That's one of the things I really like about Yvsa -- he calls it exactly as he sees it and I think he is right 99% of the time.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ

[This message has been edited by Bill Martino (edited 08 December 1999).]

Back