• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ancient Fossil Walrus Damascus Drop point SOLD

DanGraves

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is one I just completed of Ancient Fossil Walrus ivory, nickel silver, and my Damascus of 1080 and 15n20. The handle has so much character and you can see the layers of ivory. This came from native Alaska private land and this is how it came out of the ground. I just cleaned it up. SHARP! Blade length is 3 5/8 inches and overall length is 8 inches. Stand is Black Walnut and included. Photo of sheath is an example and one can be provided for an extra 35.00 to 40.00. Sheath can be stained as requested. Any questions please ask and I think this is legal to ship anywhere. SOLD plus 5.85 priority mail in USA. My e-mail and paypal is dangraves4923@earthlink.net And Yes, I Hope you like it as I enjoyed making it.

Thanks for looking.
THIS ONE IS SOLD.

Last edited:
Great piece Dan! About the very definition of unique. Cool patterns and tapers - point to butt.

Won't be seeing any knockoffs I betcha...
-AWL-

Dan, the other knives you have posted with fossilized walrus ivory were much lighter colored, like the one shown above in the sheath. Is there a palentologist involved who ID's these as fossilized walrus ivory ? and do you know why some of it is very dark like in this knife for sale and some of it more of a 'honey-brown' color ?
How does this one feel in hand ?
thanks, roland

Roland, If I sanded this piece there would be light color. When I cut the tip to drill for the tang it was close to white and you can see the layer of color. This was a tusk tip that was buried. The minerals leach into the ivory and thats what gives it color. Different minerals equal different color. You can see on some that I have done where I sanded and windows of cream color come out. That is where I try to stop so as to leave as much color in as possible. Color can penetrate deep to thin. This tusk tip came from Alaska Indian native private land and at the top of the handle you can see a little of the core that walrus ivory is known to have (does not show in photo's).
Feels very comfortable in the hand and would be suitable for right hand or left. I think leaving this look is what gives this one character. Would be easy to sand and it would look like all the rest. I did a large one that is a native fire starter and left it the same way. It is in the knifemakers gallery. You might want to take a look at it. Thanks and hope this answers your questions.

Along with the minerals, I do believe the length of time it's buried will affect the color. But I'm no paleontologist.
That's very nice Mr. Graves. I may have grabbed it myself.

Back