And they say golf isn't dangerous (wound pics)

Mark Terrell

BANNED
The pics actually don't look as bad as it really is....

Here's the story......

I'm off of the 8th hole on our golf course here... I realized that I left my wedge on the ground a few yards back, so instead of getting my lazy ass out of the cart, I decided to drive by it and pick it up on the fly.... Bad effing idea.

First off, I was driving with my left arm on the wheel and left foot on the gas while leaning out the right side.

2nd mistake, I decided to pick up the club on the fly..

3rd mistake, I decided to pick the club up by the head instead of the grip, but hey, that's the way it was facing...

When I grabbed the club, the grip stumped into the ground and snapped the steel shaft. Now anyone knows that when steel shafts snap, the edges are razor freaking sharp....

The grip end that stumped and snapped off shot up into the top of my hand... It got all the way to the bone and I know this b/c I had to pull the m'fer out....

I get hurt in the shop almost daily, it's part of the gig.... However, this one got me... I was fine for a second, then I stood up to go around to the back of the cart to get a towel to stop the bleeding, and I went to my knees... I got the cold sweats and everything started going black....

I managed to not pass out, but I got to my cell phone and it took me a few minutes to get my wits about me enough to figure out how to make the call to my wife....

She got out there in a hurry, and of course, I was fine by then. Like any idiot, I didn't want to go get stitches, and I should've, but we're past that now....

The skin managed to sink down, but it's healing ok now. I can move all the fingers, so I'm hoping there's no tendon or ligament damage.

What a bonehead move....

_MG_9303.JPG

_MG_9302.JPG

IMG_0089.jpg

Ouch!!! :eek: That sounds painful. I hope you will heal up quickly. I bet grinding knives is tough with that wound.

Aaron

well, golf is a fantastic way to ruin a good walk as they say :D

Thats a nippy looking wound, Lucky you didnt take a core sample out your self :p

Accidents on the golf course tend to be nasty. Two I can remember. Once at the driving range a child got too close behind his father as he made his swing and smacked the kid right in the mouth with his club. Blood all over, it was gruesome. The ambulance had to come, I am sure the child lost some teeth.

The second time was the golf tournament at work. One of the guys had more than enough to drink and started to take his frustrations out on a tree while deep in the rough. He wanted to knock down the tree branch with his club. He swung at the branch, missed and made a full driving contact to his ankle. There was the sound of breaking cartilage, and the man was incapacitated by pain, and was off work for weeks.

Here's my back after getting plugged by a ball from about 30-40 yards out. I saw the ball coming, dodged and turned, but I misjudged since the ball was curving. It was a horrible slice. Normally, the guys in my group trust our skills enough to walk ahead a little when someone is making a shot (speeds up play). The exception got me, of course.

Look, you can even see the golf ball dimples. :p

Bruise.jpg

My cousin get a golf ball hit clean into his mouth back in the day :eek:

He was lucky not to lose any teeth but thats what you get for hitting golf balls at the local hight school windows over the weekend i suppose :D

For The Riddler, of Batman fame, a question mark (sic) insignia was his visual motif. Your little boo-boo reminds me of said visual motif. :D

In fact, claiming the scar is a clear sign of being a descendant of The Riddler or claiming you received the wound while battling The Riddler. . . .well. . . .sounds much better than the golf cart story. :p

Back